Tell an LR4 guy how to love that Defender rear door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the D2 swing gate can be modded like this classic:

1987_land_rover_one_ten_15843947523bb67614ffa0020200225_131919.jpg

Bonus: you get awesome rain/shade cover.

The gen3 4runner tailgate & power window is pinnacle of good tailgate design.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP: I was the most excited to see the Defender in person at the Chicago Auto Show, and it was frankly the most disappointed I've been in a while. It seemed a lot smaller than my LR3/4 ...
That's too bad. I have not read any of the recent reviews now that the embargo was lifted. Didn't realize the inside has a tight feel. I definitely like the height of the LR3/4. It makes up for the width being on the narrow side (but that makes it fit nicer in my garage).

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's too bad. I have not read any of the recent reviews now that the embargo was lifted. Didn't realize the inside has a tight feel. I definitely like the height of the LR3/4. It makes up for the width being on the narrow side (but that makes it fit nicer in my garage).

That narrow width is one of it's strong points. If you look at the specs it measures to be exactly one inch wider than a Wrangler.

Very handy feature when dealing with the brodozer, lifted truck crowd.

Them: "You can't go anywhere in that little thing. It's too damned low"
Me: I'll bet you 50 bucks I can go somewhere you can't within a hundred yards of where we are standing"
Them: "You're on, sucker"
Me: Proceeds to find two trees spaced closely together and drive between them.
Them: "Sh@t"

When I was running Black Bear in CO a few summer ago, the only vehicles able to make those switchbacks without a several point turn were the Wranglers, and me in the LR4. Well, and the motorbikes, of course.

swift

Reaction score

Actually the width of the new Defender seemed fine. From what I can find on the specs, it is actually wider than the LR4. It just seemed extremely small in the back. The rear door opening in particular is much smaller. Maybe the 130 will fix some of that, but it just really threw me when I saw it in person.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That narrow width is one of it's strong points. If you look at the specs it measures to be exactly one inch wider than a Wrangler.

Very handy feature when dealing with the brodozer, lifted truck crowd.

Them: "You can't go anywhere in that little thing. It's too damned low"
Me: I'll bet you 50 bucks I can go somewhere you can't within a hundred yards of where we are standing"
Them: "You're on, sucker"
Me: Proceeds to find two trees spaced closely together and drive between them.
Them: "Sh@t"

When I was running Black Bear in CO a few summer ago, the only vehicles able to make those switchbacks without a several point turn were the Wranglers, and me in the LR4. Well, and the motorbikes, of course.
Wow! You did Black Bear in the LR4...very impressive. That is one scary drive. Congratulations!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... The rear door opening in particular is much smaller. Maybe the 130 will fix some of that, but it just really threw me when I saw it in person.
Everyone kept mentioning this 130... finally had to look it up. Couldn't find a lot about it, but this image doesn't show a rear tire silhouette on the back. So that's a good thing.

Are there any spy shots of it? Sounds like it is the same chassis as the 110, with more of a rear overhang to open up rear interior space. Maybe if we make a lot of noise they'll ditch the swing door and put on an LR3/4 style tailgate. :D

2fExtraImages%2f20190703021100_2020-defender_slide.jpg

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Black Bear is one of my favorites, You're exactly right, in Colorado the narrow width and tight turning radius make the LR4 amazing on the switchbacks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi