Tell an LR4 guy how to love that Defender rear door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aretools

Reaction score
I felt devastated when i went for a test ride in a discovery and found out they removed the tailgate. It does have a little slide that comes out, but I don't think you can sit on it. this is a huge loss. I need a seven seater, hopefully the defender will pull through on these points. I can't stand getting dirty when reaching into the back of a vehicle the Lr4 was the only vehicle that I know of that provided a dry and clean space to sit and remove your dirty sports gear before getting into the vehicle or while loading items in the back.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Defender's third row seats are useless (for adult seating), even worse than RRS optional third row..

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Great Pyrenees mixes each hovering around 100 lbs, one pushes 115. When I open the rear hatch, having the lower tail gate still up keeps them in the back until I can grab their leads. Having 215# rushing at me is NOT something I'm looking forward to now that the tailgate is a thing of the past. I'm on the list for the new Defender when it comes in to add to our fleet and we'll probably keep the LR4 as "The Dog Truck."

Interesting. I just added a Collie/Great Pyrenees mix to go along with my Collie/Siberian Husky mix two days ago.

Watching to see if these two guys can get along and coexist. Things get interesting when food comes out, because the Husky is a "take no sh@t" kind of pooch.

I would say of both of them are too lazy to jump through the tailgate though.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20180204_201019_resized-jpg.7752
Interesting. I just added a Collie/Great Pyrenees mix to go along with my Collie/Siberian Husky mix two days ago.

Watching to see if these two guys can get along and coexist. Things get interesting when food comes out, because the Husky is a "take no sh@t" kind of pooch.

I would say of both of them are too lazy to jump through the tailgate though.

Our great Pyrenees loves the back of the LR4! Lots of windows and air conditioned.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, that lower hatch also prevents our yellow lab from charging like a fullback when we open the top part.

I'm wondering the same thing...what if I don't like the new Defender's tailgate, less luxurious interior, dashboard layout, rear leg room, rear cargo room, etc. Then I guess I keep my LR4 for offroad duty and add something else to the motor pool like a V8 RRS or Cayenne or SQ7 or A6 allroad now that it's back. I loved my 2002 and 2004 allroads and they made carrying bikes and a roof box so much easier.

Land Cruiser has the proper tailgate configuration that you seek.

rjowenusa

Reaction score
The tail gate is useful for, well tailgating, as a platform for loading stuff on the roof, and as a rain cover but at the end of the day I prefer my D2's swing door for everyday practicality. Just reaching over the LR3 tailgate to load heavy items into the rear is getting harder as I get older. The swing door is also more practical for farmers delivering bales of hay etc., again because of the ease of access without having to reach over the tailgate.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bales of hay? Huh? Truck?

I'm sure I could fit a couple of square bales in there, if needed. Small square bale is 4'x6'. That would be tight through the rear. I would have to measure.

Somebody try it and make yourself internet famous....

And gratuitous pics of lazy dogs. I love full collies, but somehow I keep ending up with rescue mixes from Houston Collie Rescue League.

Collie/Husky, aka Killer 1, aka Puppers, aka Nanook

20190916_213115.jpg

Collie/Pyrenees, aka ******** (read that as Shuuhhhthead), aka Hobo

20200319_104756.jpg

Last edited:

binch

Reaction score
I have a 1986 110 EXMOD that can easily be converted between a pickup cab, station wagon or canvas top. I can use a tailgate with a catflap top, full swing door or split swing and catflap top. I have a spare tire carrier on the back and I can mount one on the bonnet. Being a 200tdi with a standard gearbox I get almost 700km on a 78 litre tank of diesel, with side storage containers that allow me to take 4 jerry cans of fuel. When I ford 4' of water the car fills up and I get wet....but I get traction on the bottom and it empties just a quick. It's loud inside, the heater is crap and it's not pretty, but it goes where I tell it to go and I love it to death!!! THAT my friends is a Defender!!! This new thing is something completely different.... and it's very pretty, but it's NOT a defender anymore.

But when I see it doing a camel trophy event and lasting 30+ years, with spare parts still readily available.... Then THAT's when I'll give it some respect:bootyshak

cheers:ciao:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV