Tell an LR4 guy how to love that Defender rear door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of the 2020 Defender. A heck of a lot more than the new Discovery. Such that, when I move on from my LR4 the Defender will likely be the replacement. Not a near term decision, but eventually...

I can't get over that rear door though. I know its legacy, it just seems so impractical. The main reason (for me) is it will virtually eliminate the capability for me to load/unload the vehicle in the garage. Which is something I do every single day. Usually multiple times. There's just no room to swing that big door open in my garage, not to mention the hinge side happens to completely block access in my garage.

I'm obviously a fan of the LR3/LR4 style tailgate for dozens of reasons, already stated on the forum by myself and others. When I do move on from the LR4, though, I have to accept that nobody offers a tailgate any more... :(

...so help me to love that big rear door. What are the benefits?
:hmmmm:

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you. That swinging door is a huge detractor. I think the designers never thought of the impact of use in a garage. I love the split tailgate so much for the same reasons you do. The big swing door doesn't provide a "roof" over your head for outdoor activities, messes with garage access, prevents pull through in parking lots (I know it shouldn't be done either), makes approaching and loading more difficult because you need to get everything out of the way to open it. The more I type this the more I feel like it's a pure deal breaker for me ever considering the Defender.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The swingout rear is probably necessary for the rear-mounted spare. That, and legacy.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
old 4Runners had tailgate with swing away spare.
Yeah, and we’ve all seen you can add a swing out to the LR3/4. But now you’ve got a 3 step process to fully open the rear door.

I liked the swing door on our D2. I didn’t have a problem opening it in our garage.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut