the $27000 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eauxgod

Reaction score
I've been a lurker for a while and I have learned more than I need to know about the LR3 so I hate for this to be my first post but I need some input on an odd 2006 HSE CPO that I am looking at in Baton Rouge Louisiana.

Here's the deal:

CPO '06 HSE White & Tan w/ 29k that has NEW GYs (I know...), rotors, pads and front/rear LR rubber mats. Condition-wise it's a little bellow CPO norms I think. The steering wheel looks like the leather has melted in some places (odd looking and feeling), left rear fender flare has a pretty good scuff across most of the back quarter if it and the driver's side leather is a bit more worn than others that I have looked at. They are asking $31999.

Here is were is gets odd...during the 1 hour test drive the transmission did that rolling stop slam into gear thing twice...I can only assume that no computer updates have been performed if this particular issue is still evident. Also, the steering column had some jerkiness on curbs during turn in/out which may or may not be indicative of bushing issues.

The truck was purchased from this dealer new and traded in recently from an individual that lives about 100 miles away. I question even if the car was dealer serviced at all during the 29k.

Lastly, the Carfax shows it as 1 owner, but the only two comments in the details area are "First Owner Reported. Reported as personal vehicle" on 10/24/2005 with no mileage noted and then "Title issued or updated. Loan or lien reported. Registered as lease vehicle." on 1/05/07 with MILEAGE LISTED AS ONLY 29 MILES. :confused:

Should I offer them $27k if all issues/problems are fixed/addressed or should I look elsewhere?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could have been a fleet vehicle for the dealer? Used as a service loaner, Wheeler Days demo vehicle, etc...

Lack of service would not concern me overly much, but I would want my purchase contact to include a COMPLETE updating of all outstanding TSB's, including things that are not in evidence, such as sunroof drain tubes, gas tank stuff, the bushings you noted, etc...

I would recommend running synthetic oil through the engine in case it had not been serviced, but the transmission and differentials are not required to be serviced for a ridiculously long time (something like 75,000 miles?)

An HSE is a good score, and white/tan is my personal favorite.

If it comes with 19" wheels, you might offer to trade "down" to 18" wheels, unless you plan to run the Goodyear MTR's.

Can the dealer provide any service records? If it was a fleet vehicle, that should certainly show up. In my opinion, getting a fleet vehicle is not a bad thing, but you should negotiate down the price further. The dealership actually gets paid by LR to own and operate fleet vehicles, so they have already made their money on it. Anything you pay them is pretty much pure profit for them.

eauxgod

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I am supposed to get the service records etc., if any, Monday.

29 miles in one year does seem like loaner/fleet, but I thought that they could not be CPO'd.

Also did the warranty begin 10/05 or 1/07?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warrenty begins the date the vehicle gets put into service, regardless of sales date. My truck warranty started a year before I bought it, new. It was a test mule at PAG during that year and untitled. So in essence, I bought mine brand new, used. :)

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Silver/Tan HSE loaded that I'll sell you for less, much better condition. New Toyos and brakes, too.
Tie rod ends fail, that could be steering issue?
Make them fix this steering and the trans under warranty (it's no cost to them) BEFORE you pay for the car!! After, it's your problem if it can't fix.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That price seems high compared to recent ads I've seen for 06 hse's.

daveking

Reaction score
check out www.texascarsdirect.com and you can find an abundance of LR3's at around wholesale prices. If anything else, that should give you a ballpark figure of what you could find at a dealer auction....(manheim) >>>>(if you know a dealer that can use his license to hunt you down one, I'd consider going that route...there are tons of 06s out there):wink:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked out texascarsdirect in a while so I just browsed 'em. You can get an '06 RR HSE, 14k for $37k now?? Wow. I mean, it's a good thing I don't like them as much as LR3's.....but WOW. And eauxgod, that is way to much for an LR3, especially one that you know has problems.

eauxgod

Reaction score
The TSBs are being taken care of and the steering wheel is also being replaced.

Service list in my hands later today.

$27 is still too much?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd