The annual 19 inch tire question! Whattya got? Whattya like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the ATR's are on national backorder, indefinitely. I checked a second source and they said the same thing. So those are out. I've decided to go with the Dunlop SP Sport Signature tires due to availability and a decent price. I'm a bit nervous as they are termed "high performance", as that usually translates into soft rubber (which wears quick). But I did some research and haven't noticed anyone having problems with getting decent miles from them.

So I guess I'll be a bit of a guinea pig here. I'll report back here when I get some impressions.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ATR's are in stock from Tire Rack. I would have gone with something else. The dunlop's are a performance tire. I wouldn't put them on my LR3

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything out there in a 19" that is in the same ball park as a BFG All Terrain or Nitto Terra Grappler?

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best Off-Road option @ 19" for the LR3? Looking to get on the trail and I know my Latitudes aren't going to cut it. Is there anything like a Nitto Terra Grappler or BFG All/Mud Terrain tire out there? I've scoured the internet for about an hour this evening and haven't found anything. I found an LR3 in the photo thread with 19" HSE wheels and what looks to be GoodYear AT/R's. But I checked on the GY site and no mention of a 19" being available.... puzzled??

This: http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=91730&postcount=120

If there isn't a serious option at this tire size, what would be the most cost effective route to obtaining a set of 4 18" LR3 10 spokes?

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we have had the Pirelli ATR's for a while and if you have the tire pressures right (not low), they are awesome. Super quiet, very smooth ride on pavement. When driving insanely at 80mph in heavy rain with big water on the highway, the HSE did pull a little and my wife screamed at me, but I slowed down and everything was fine. Other cars were stopping so I would say wet weather traction is pretty darn good. Handling is great and again I stress tire pressure. If low you will feel them roll more on the sidewall. For me, I like that because I can feel that my tire pressures need adjustment by the way the car rides.

As for off road, it is really weird how the landrover feels smoother off road than on road. Haven't done any serious mud, but I have no doubt they will be fine. Obviously if you're in a 4x4 club, you might want a set of something crazy.

We started with Good Years, then had a set of Synchrones, now the Pirellis. Pirellis are by far the best, and more capable than the other two. It would take some pretty good talk for me to buy Nokians, just because of my great experience with these Pirellis. I'm open to new things though. But, considering that rattles went away after putting these on, they will be hard to beat.

Micah
Great feedback, Micah. Thanks!

I started this thread but my Synchrones have lasted me much longer than expected and I'm just considering this purchase now. Car is in for 105K service and they say the insides are bald due to play in my front lower control arms (they're going to warranty bushings where were previously replaced by them).

Anyway, the ATRs are still up on Tirerack and the Nokians are not. Surprisingly, I don't see Synchrone on the list any longer?

I'll probably go with the ATRs this month when I have to make the buy. Thanks.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Synchrones were replaced by the Lattitudes.

photodisco

Reaction score
Disappointed in the ATR's

I for one read every 19" tire thread on this forum and finally settled on the ATR's. Changed to them at 48k and now at 65k I have fairly major cupping and this is causing the wheel to shimmy at speed over 50. Tread life is good and performance in snow/wet is commendable but I was expecting 50k treadlife and looks like I will get about 20k miles - unacceptable.

I had them mounted and balanced at s reputable tire installer and have had them rotated on schedule and maintained my alignment. Of course their warranty won't cover it ( I think).......frustrated.

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the Dunlop SP Sport Signatures on for about a month now. They have a very aggressive deep tread, but they ride quiet and smooth. I have one big complaint about them so far, however. My mileage dropped by about 1.5-2 mpg with them! The rolling resistance is very high, and I can tell this just by coasting down hills. There is a big, long hill on my way to work that I used to coast down, but I can't anymore as I slow down too much. I called the tire dealer and he told me that new tires have more rolling resistance, but I think that may be BS. I've checked the tire pressure and its perfect. Because of this, I would not recommend these tires.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have Toyo Proxes on our LR3, they look as good as the day we bought them. Handle onroad and and off road well. Dont slip in the rain. Took the lr3 out to the deer lease, sand, mud, clay, gravel you name it we made it through without any issues. Tires are wearing great, will probably get them again next go round. They are a directional tire and are wearing even. we have the 19" HSE wheels.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have Toyo Proxes on our LR3, they look as good as the day we bought them. Handle onroad and and off road well. Dont slip in the rain. Took the lr3 out to the deer lease, sand, mud, clay, gravel you name it we made it through without any issues. Tires are wearing great, will probably get them again next go round. They are a directional tire and are wearing even. we have the 19" HSE wheels.
Which Proxes did you get? I looked online and there are a few different models.

Are they rated for our vehicle weight? (no reason to think not, just curious)

EDIT - used their online tool. I suppose you have the "Proxes ST II – 19" Replacement Tire (OE Fitment)" - they seem to rate it better for street use than offroad (only giving it one star in their own ratings).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo