The annual 19 inch tire question! Whattya got? Whattya like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armst06

Reaction score
Installed Nokian GT2V's

The Nokians that I ordered arrived at Mallory Katzen in Danbury, CT yesterday and I had them installed. I paid $240 installed for stock HSE size (255/55/R19) which was a great deal compared to the Michelin Lattitude or the Pirelli ATV's of same size. My initial impression is that they ride smooth on street and do well at hi-way speeds. I will post off-road findings later this week. Overall impression is very good, especially the asymetric tread design which is tire technology similar to the Nitto Invo's I have on my C6 Z06. (although the Invo is a high performance street tire vs the all-season design of the Nokian)

armst06

Reaction score
So I took the LR3 out today in the rain and hit the fire roads south of Danbury with the Nokians. Good wet road traction and very good mud performance although I did not try anything more than mild grade hills and rutted fire roads. Overall I am happy with the Nokians so far.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Nokians that I ordered arrived at Mallory Katzen in Danbury, CT yesterday and I had them installed. I paid $240 installed for stock HSE size (255/55/R19) which was a great deal compared to the Michelin Lattitude or the Pirelli ATV's of same size. My initial impression is that they ride smooth on street and do well at hi-way speeds. I will post off-road findings later this week. Overall impression is very good, especially the asymetric tread design which is tire technology similar to the Nitto Invo's I have on my C6 Z06. (although the Invo is a high performance street tire vs the all-season design of the Nokian)

These sound like a nice option.

Can most tire shops or dealer order these or do I have to go to a distributor of the brand?

armst06

Reaction score
Nokian Dealers

If I remember correctly I just googled Nokian tires and found a local dealer. I am not sure how extensive Nokian's dealership network is.

Spring cleaning chores preempted my off-roading plans but I will post my impressions as soon as I get a chance to test of the tires in the dirt. As far as road manners, I am quite pleased.

flippenmh

Reaction score
synchrones are toast

My Synchrones have at least twelve holes in them, and Discount tire has said they need replacement. They are refunding me most of the purchase price after 15,000 miles so that's a good deal.

I think I'm going to go with Pirelli Scorpion 0's or Scorpion ATR's. My question for those of you who have them, is about gas mileage and noise. From the posts it sounds like noise is about the same on both, so what about mileage? Has anyone noticed a drop after switching from the Synchrones?

Micah

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - I just did a TireRack search and there are 12 tires listed for the LR3 HSE!
I remember when there were only 2.
The list of Tire Size: 255/55-19;
http://bit.ly/aUgJM0

Or -

1. Dunlop SP Sport Signature (H&V) (High Performance All-Season)
  2. Yokohama ADVAN S.T. (Street/Sport Truck Summer)
  3. Firestone Destination ST (Street/Sport Truck All-Season
  4. Goodyear Wrangler HP All Weather (Street/Sport Truck All-Season
  5. Pirelli Scorpion Zero (Street/Sport Truck All-Season
  6. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season
  7. Continental 4x4 Contact (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season)
  8. Michelin Latitude Tour HP (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season
  9. Pirelli Scorpion ATR (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain)
  10. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (Off-Road Maximum Traction
  11. Goodyear Ultra Grip SUV (Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow
  12. Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow (Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow)

How do the Mich. Latitudes compare to the Synchrones?

Sorry to bump and oldish thread, but it's now my turn for a new set of 19" tires for my '05 LR3 HSE. I've gotten about 45K miles on my synchrones, which sounds about average from what I've read from others on here. Tire wear is very uneven though with the fronts wearing on the insides, to the point where the threads are just starting to show. If they had worn evenly I probably could have gotten 10K more miles. I suppose it's time for an alignment as well. . . ?

Anyway, a tire rack search now gives almost the same results as that list above. Just remove the Yokohamas and add Hankook Ventus AS RH07. I was wonder what people's current assessment is for tires now and if anyone has any new experiences to add? I don't do any off roading btw, except the occasional dirt road leading to a hiking trail. At tirerack the most popular are the Firestone Destinations but I'm going to guess that's because they are the cheapest at only $176 per tire, all the rest except the Hankooks are over $220 per tire. Anyone try those Firestones?

I need to make a decision by tomorrow as the showing threads make me very nervous. I'll hit my local Goodyear which has been good to me over the years and also Costco. I've bought via Tirerack in the past, but I find that I can get local guys to at least come close to their prices so I usually go that route.

Lastly, I've been running nitrogen in my tires since I've had the LR3, but it's such a hassle to get it at times (of course, since it's nitrogen I don't have to worry about filling up the tires as much). Should I stick with it?

flippenmh

Reaction score
pirrelli ATR's

So we have had the Pirelli ATR's for a while and if you have the tire pressures right (not low), they are awesome. Super quiet, very smooth ride on pavement. When driving insanely at 80mph in heavy rain with big water on the highway, the HSE did pull a little and my wife screamed at me, but I slowed down and everything was fine. Other cars were stopping so I would say wet weather traction is pretty darn good. Handling is great and again I stress tire pressure. If low you will feel them roll more on the sidewall. For me, I like that because I can feel that my tire pressures need adjustment by the way the car rides.

As for off road, it is really weird how the landrover feels smoother off road than on road. Haven't done any serious mud, but I have no doubt they will be fine. Obviously if you're in a 4x4 club, you might want a set of something crazy.

We started with Good Years, then had a set of Synchrones, now the Pirellis. Pirellis are by far the best, and more capable than the other two. It would take some pretty good talk for me to buy Nokians, just because of my great experience with these Pirellis. I'm open to new things though. But, considering that rattles went away after putting these on, they will be hard to beat.

Micah

goinsurfin

Reaction score
After 45k+ miles, they are still quiet and wear well. However, i also have a set of 18" wheels and considering to try BFG ATs. Price for BFGs are close to ATRs but just hoping to get close to 50k miles on them too.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 45k+ miles, they are still quiet and wear well. However, i also have a set of 18" wheels and considering to try BFG ATs. Price for BFGs are close to ATRs but just hoping to get close to 50k miles on them too.

I've got 16k on my bfgs and will probably only get 25-30k out of them. I have already burned through about 2/3rds of the useable tread.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99