The annual 19 inch tire question! Whattya got? Whattya like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ksurfier

Reaction score
Just picked up a set of Toyo Open Country H/T tires, $1025 out the door from Discount Tire in San Diego. Will see how they handle...a major change from tires that barely had 1/16 on them.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
FYI,

I just received an update from TR that 19" ATRs will be in stock next week- which means I'll get my set next week too... I got about 50k out of the current set with even wear....I'm very happy with the overall- quality build, quiet ride since new, and clean-even wear..

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI,

I just received an update from TR that 19" ATRs will be in stock next week- which means I'll get my set next week too... I got about 50k out of the current set with even wear....I'm very happy with the overall- quality build, quiet ride since new, and clean-even wear..
Minus the 4 that they just sent to me. :biggrin:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minus the 4 that they just sent to me. :biggrin:
Had them put on last week and they ride just fine.

I have not taken them offroad yet, and mainly wanted to try a different tire for better sand/snow traction.

On the road, I really don't notice a ride difference from the Michelin Synchrones I had, so it is subtle if anything. I tell you, though, I was pretty impressed with how long those Michelins lasted. I hope I'm as lucky with the ATRs. If I didn't have some uneven inside wear on my old set, I probably could have gone another 5-10K on the last set.

In any case, all good. Will be fun to try out a new tire.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a set of Toyo Open Country H/T tires, $1025 out the door from Discount Tire in San Diego. Will see how they handle...a major change from tires that barely had 1/16 on them.

Ksurfer, have you joined the LR club here in San Diego yet?

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Installed my 2nd set of ATRs + alignment yesterday...Loving them all over!

Before the new tires/alignment done, I had noticeable pull to the right. After install/alignment, now it pulls slightly to the left... I'll have the dealer look at it again to ensure it rides perfectly straight- on the ideal road surface w/o wear ruts or major pitch...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my 2nd set of ATRs + alignment yesterday...Loving them all over!

Before the new tires/alignment done, I had noticeable pull to the right. After install/alignment, now it pulls slightly to the left... I'll have the dealer look at it again to ensure it rides perfectly straight- on the ideal road surface w/o wear ruts or major pitch...
How many miles did you get out of the first set? Did you get a new set because of uneven wear or because they tires were done?

I'm still unsure what to do on this truck with rotation. On prior vehicles I'd rotate every 6000 miles and get even wear. With this truck it seems they only rotate front to back, if that, and sometimes you'll get road rattle because of balance differences so all they do is alignment... what have you done?

goinsurfin

Reaction score
How many miles did you get out of the first set? Did you get a new set because of uneven wear or because they tires were done?

I'm still unsure what to do on this truck with rotation. On prior vehicles I'd rotate every 6000 miles and get even wear. With this truck it seems they only rotate front to back, if that, and sometimes you'll get road rattle because of balance differences so all they do is alignment... what have you done?[/QUOTE

Sorry for the delayed response. I got 47k miles on my first set and rotated them approx. 5-7000 miles. They would have gone to 50kI but I was eager to replace them since they had minimal tread remaining. Alignment was done once when the tires were installed new and a 2nd time when the bushings were replaced about 6 months later. Overall, the tires wore evenly without any issues, I rotated then front to back and kept up on correct air pressure.

Make sure your bushings and other suspension components are in good shape. You shouldn't have any issues with these tires.

tongagrnlr3

Reaction score
Which Proxes did you get? I looked online and there are a few different models.

Are they rated for our vehicle weight? (no reason to think not, just curious)

EDIT - used their online tool. I suppose you have the "Proxes ST II – 19" Replacement Tire (OE Fitment)" - they seem to rate it better for street use than offroad (only giving it one star in their own ratings).

i have the Proxes and are very happy with them! on road they are great and off road too actually. that being said i live in los angeles and dont do much water crossings or mudding! i do take it to the angeles national forest or cleavland national forest on a fairly regular basis however. the tires are great on loose over hard, gravel, and rocks. the small amounty of time i have spent in the mud or creek crossings i had ZERO traction issues. the terrain responce system i feel more then makes up of the tires less the stellar off road raiting toyo give them. the tires are M+S rated however. Also had her up on the pismo dunes last summer and again i had zero issues.

i run johnson's rods full time which some have said wear the tires funny but mine are wearing very well with about 20k on them. i will most likly get them again if i chose a non OE tire im looking at hankook dyanapro ATM, cooper zeons ltz, nitto terra grapplers (but dune grapplers would be sweet), or GY slient armors

Earing2008

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Handcook Ventus? I have a set of 18's on my SE now and with a set of 19's on the way I'm wondering if they are at all comperable to the Pirelli Scorpions, which so many people have good things to say about? The Handcooks actually have a better rating on TR and are about $200 cheaper!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72