The Best LR3 All Season/Terrain Tire Thread of 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! See??? Case in point. I'm almost obligated to get the Hakkapeliittas now!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the WRG2 on the audi and they wear well. It's hard to say how good the traction is though because it is an 08 s4 avant with the high bias center diff and true quattro traction. I imagine any old all-weather would be just fine on that car.

LR3: For winter/all weather/all conditions, the Goodyear Duratrac seems like a great combination. However, it barely fits being 275/65x18. There is scrub as full turn and also fender liner scrub at only 80% compression. I don't think there is scrub at standard flat ground ful-drop, but if the suspension is compressed further, then the left rear fender liner rubs at the budge in the front visually around 9 o'clock.

So I'm going back to BFG AT 265/65x18. I have a 2nd set of wheels that may end up getting some pure winter tires for the 4-5 months it would be useful. I also have the 19" set though and could use those unless someone wants to buy them ;)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't yet! Right now the MT/Rs (on 18s) are mounted since I'll be hittin' the trails once a month until September. The rest of the time I barely drive anyway (walk or bike to work) so that's the status quo until September. At that time, I start heading up and down I-5 to college football games (Seattle to Corvallis) so that's when the 19s go on. I'm still running the Michelins and plan to buy a tire to mount and use on the 19s in October.

I'm saying October because that's when the temperatures here are consistently below 50degrees I can run the Hakkas without worrying about it being too warm and increasing wear.

....but that's my plan. Hakkas October - March/ MT/Rs the rest of the time.

It sounds like the WRG2s are great tires as well....for some reason I just seem enamored of the Hakkas.

Diesel101

Reaction score
I run the same size tires but I use johnson rods (any brand will do) and my tires never rub. good year silent armor work great for me.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the same size tires but I use johnson rods (any brand will do) and my tires never rub. good year silent armor work great for me.

Same size as what? If mean 275/65x18, then at full articulation on the rears, you will rub. The rods do not provide any magic rub-free solution when the tire is fully stuffed do they?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..for some reason I just seem enamored of the Hakkas.

Hey, which one, the R or R2 or the Rotiva? I have not seen you post which model as there are several. Just curious.

I plan to try the R2 on my 535xi wagon next year after the Pirelli Sottozero 240 winter wears down too far. It's been great to actually, long wearing and very good traction for such an aggressive patterned and higher speed tire. It never, ever feels soft cornering though so there must be some traction trade off that I have not noticed yet.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have cooper zeons. I like them, good grip off road, pretty good in mud and snow. could be better on the icy stuff, then again everything could. I have split two sidewalls off road. Once on a stream run where you can't really see where you are placing your tires and another in sort of a freak situation with a sharp rock on the edge of the trail. So perhaps isolated circumstances. But I had BFGs on my DI and they lasted forever, never split a sidewall.

My next set will be BFGs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo