What is the BEST wheel size/tire dimensions combination for All-Terrain use in the 2006 LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Duratracs on my LR3 and my Sequoia and like the look on both vehicles, they do well offroad on the LR3 and great in the snow on the Sequoia. Whatever the larges size you can get without rubbing. I don't see the sense in buying different wheels unless you have 20s.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't a guarantee at all...never said as much. It's a quantifiable data point though. Saying that load range has no bearing on sidewall strength is nonsense. Like I said, some tires just don't do well on certain vehicles, I guess. I loved my MT/Rs and can't imagine a better off-roading tire for the LR3. That's all I can say...
Nope, it’s not quantifiable in terms of off road abuse resistance, which has been my point this whole conversation. It is only quantifiable in terms of how much weight the sidewall will bear. That is very different.

I’m sorry I grouped your MT/Rs in with the garbage that has failed me. If Goodyear used that sidewall tech in other tires I wouldn’t have been let down.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Goodyear, maybe they have changed??? idk...

I only meant above that the determination of Load Rating (C, E, etc) is a quantifiable metric and defined process between manufacturers and regulators. I agree that conditions of use and subsequent toughness is not reflected in that load rating. I would surmise that if you took ten E-Rated tires and ten C-Rated tires and put them through an off-road durability test with all conditions the same (vehicle, driver, line selected) the E-Rated tires would generally perform better. There would of course be outliers, too.

That would be a fun test to be in charge of!

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Goodyear, maybe they have changed??? idk...

I only meant above that the determination of Load Rating (C, E, etc) is a quantifiable metric and defined process between manufacturers and regulators. I agree that conditions of use and subsequent toughness is not reflected in that load rating. I would surmise that if you took ten E-Rated tires and ten C-Rated tires and put them through an off-road durability test with all conditions the same (vehicle, driver, line selected) the E-Rated tires would generally perform better. There would of course be outliers, too.

That would be a fun test to be in charge of!
I’m not sure why your so apologetic about Goodyear. It’s not like it hurts my feelings, I just don’t want people to have the same experience.

Key takeaway: If you run in rocks, consider MT/Rs or some other brand.

To your test idea. Random tires, maybe. Conversely, I suspect one could carefully pick 5 C or D rated tires that out perform 5 E rated tires in the same test. A “10 ply rating” doesn’t mean it actually has 10 plys in the sidewall.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew that.....that it was a "rating" and not literally 10 plies. I agree that one could carefully pick 5 lesser rated sidewalled tires and fund that they outperform 5 E-rated tires....only after they have test results in-hand, I'd say. Like I said above, there are gonna be outliers.

I wasn't so much being apologetic about Goodyear as I was being empathetic towards you. Sucks to have a bad tire experience. Heck....I don't even own a set of GYs on any of my vehicles! Cooper, Nokian, Yokahama and Michelin. I used to own a bunch of shares of Goodyear stock, but I sold it....so yeah, I don't really care.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew that.....that it was a "rating" and not literally 10 plies. I agree that one could carefully pick 5 lesser rated sidewalled tires and fund that they outperform 5 E-rated tires....only after they have test results in-hand, I'd say. Like I said above, there are gonna be outliers.

I wasn't so much being apologetic about Goodyear as I was being empathetic towards you. Sucks to have a bad tire experience. Heck....I don't even own a set of GYs on any of my vehicles! Cooper, Nokian, Yokahama and Michelin. I used to own a bunch of shares of Goodyear stock, but I sold it....so yeah, I don't really care.
So, careful selection is better than an E rating. Thank you.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha no you missed my point. Careful selection when you somehow magically have a priori knowledge of outlier tire models would be better, sure...but without that, one must rely on ratings.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the ply rating did mean the number of layers at one time. Not to even begin to get into this discussion...

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha no you missed my point. Careful selection when you somehow magically have a priori knowledge of outlier tire models would be better, sure...but without that, one must rely on ratings.
*palm slaps face* Let’s circle back to an argument that’s not valid. Go ahead, get some load range H truck tires, they’ve gotta be extra super tough for perfect off road use since load range is your indicator of sidewall strength! :dontknow:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72