What is the BEST wheel size/tire dimensions combination for All-Terrain use in the 2006 LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
m_lars, you're misunderstanding my point so badly that you are building a strawman.

Where did I ever say that Load Rating means everything? Nowhere

What I am saying; however, is that without having data pertaining to a particular tire, you HAVE to go by something, and Load Rating is one standard by which sidewall strength is measured, and that is better than taking a flier on a C-rated tire and hoping that it's up to *****.

I don't mean to be argumentative, I think we are just talking past each other. I agree with your point. I'm merely saying that without that knowledge (of a tire that out-performs its rating) then you have to go by something, and the load rating is on criterion.

Last edited:

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
m_lars, you're misunderstanding my point so badly that you are building a strawman.

Where did I ever say that Load Rating means everything? Nowhere

What I am saying; however, is that without having data pertaining to a particular tire, you HAVE to go by something, and Load Rating is one standard by which sidewall strength is measured, and that is better than taking a flier on a C-rated tire and hoping that it's up to *****.

I don't mean to be argumentative, I think we are just talking past each other. I agree with your point. I'm merely saying that without that knowledge (of a tire that out-performs its rating) then you have to go by something, and the load rating is on criterion.
My last post was not a straw man argument, it’s hyperbole. And I do understand your argument. You are assuming that sidewall “strength” (toughness, cut ristence, etc.) is somehow correlated to it’s ability to carry a certain load. It’s not. It’s foolish to assume and bad advice to give. If one follows your logic, that I HAVE (your emphasis) to consider what’s on the sidewall to decide what is a competent off road tire, then any E rated tire SHOULD (my emphasis) suffice. That is simply not the case.

No one in the rock crawling world (37” plus) runs E rated tires, they’re too stiff. I know what your thinking, a rock crawler doesn’t weight what an LR3 weights... One, I will argue that a 4 door wrangler built and armored to run such trails actually does. B, even if they’re lighter and don’t need E rating for load capacity, they still need a capable sidewall. A correctly chosen C or D capacity tire has a plenty tough sidewall for what they are doing. Which I would argue is probably the hardest thing on sidewalls in the off-road world.

You may not be trying to be argumentative, but you always are. You have things just the way YOU like it and act with incredulity if someone tries to do it differently.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know that you knew me so well!!!

Okay, so the load rating is a measure of load bearing ability but not toughness...this would make more sense if you mean specifically "puncture resistance" as you state.

I can get with this...I ask you, not rhetorically but seriously, can you think of a metric or two that a guy can use to determine toughness? Or as buyers do we just have to use trial and error?

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know that you knew me so well!!!

Okay, so the load rating is a measure of load bearing ability but not toughness...this would make more sense if you mean specifically "puncture resistance" as you state.

I can get with this...I ask you, not rhetorically but seriously, can you think of a metric or two that a guy can use to determine toughness? Or as buyers do we just have to use trial and error?
There is no metric to compare sidewalls that I am aware of. It’s hard to find, if it’s even available, the sidewall construction of a given tire. Trial and error, or the advice of people in the know is the way to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72