The obligatory "Show off your LR3' thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are Goodyear MTRs 255/55 R19, they are kind of hard to find no a days though. Great tires for the stock HSE 19" rims though.

DcNexus

Reaction score
Hi
...those are Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 255/55/19 XL on OEM rims pretty decent in mud and also onroad considering speed limit of 180 km/h- if you want to go that fast

metalslug

Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics from my trip to Mammoth this year.

IMG_9466.jpg

IMG_9454.jpg

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
So here's how the past 2.5 days went down for me:

KyRover replied to another thread I started looking for places to go around TN. Based on his recommendation, the fiance and I headed to The Land Between the Lakes (lbl.org) for a long weekend.

We got up there Saturday early evening and got our backcountry permits so we could hit a trail and find a place to set up camp (we didn't bring a tent, we we're determined that we'd camp in the LR3). So it's dusk and we're driving through some nice trails, getting the truck muddy and looking for a good secluded spot, when we come up one trail and think "This is the spot. Let's just go over there."

Well, it turns out "over there" was just through what we thought was a puddle. Except the puddle turned out to be kind of deep. And full of really loose wet mud. Ok, it turned out to be a mud pit. So, we got stuck for the first time. We spent the next hour trying to wedge logs and branches under the tires to get some sort of traction. Eventually we decided it was just too deep and we weren't going anywhere that night. So we made camp.

We had to call the Park Ranger in the morning and they came with a winch to pull us out, although we were all worried their Expedition might not be able to take the weight of the LR3.

Here's the hole while we were in and after we got out. Doesn't look so big right? This only leads me to believe I need to get rid of the Kumho's that came on the truck.

After this adventure we treaded a little more carefully and examined our trails a little more thoroughly. Sunday night we decided we needed a shower and an easier place to get to, so we bought a spot at the campground. These spots were superb. This park is so nice and big, so their camping spots don't have to be crammed in next to each other. We chose a spot by the water and relaxed. A great weekend for sure. We're so glad we bought the LR3 and can't wait to do more in it...especially with more gear! New tires, bumper and winch, sliders....the list can just keep going I guess.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up! I like the window screens - where did you find them? BTW - Im dont think my AT tires would have gotton out of that mud. Not atleast from a dead stop and the 35K I have on them now. I would suggest a 2nd set of wheels and MT tires for stuff like that.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had Cooper Zeon LTZ's since 2007 with the Range Rover Sport. Just got a new set for the LR3 and never had trouble in mud or snow. Here's a couple shots of some deeper mud in Colorado.

Me after going through it
DSCN3595.jpg

Another guy in the group going through the same spot - Also Coopers, but the STT's
DSCN3593.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really all depends on the terrain. I had no problem gumming up the Cooper Zeons I used to have. I got frustrated enough that I bought MT/Rs. WA is different than CO and TN and CA. The terrain of course is different but so is the geology, so the tire choice has to be weighed carefully.

The only thing we'll all agree on is that off-road, street tires aint gonna do $hit!

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Hey Morris. I made the screens. A quick search on the forum will show you how to make them. It's really easy and they work great.
Thanks for the tire recommendations guys. I think I'll go either BFG A/T's or the Cooper's...I had the BFGs on my old truck and they lasted forever. But they didn't see as much mud as they'll see on the Rover. Any comparison/contrast between those 2 tires only?
Thanks!

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Ryan,
Do you run the rod mod all the time? I'm thinking I want to go with BFG's but didn't know how bad the rubbing would be without the mod. I'm looking for something that's going to fill the wheel well really nicely at the stock height.
Thanks for the help!
-Ryan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM