The obligatory "Show off your LR3' thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****! Did I miss this trip? Houm_WA? Please remind me next time. I think you did mention it in PM and it slipped :( When is the next trip?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah....I was trying to gauge your interest and didn't want to be too pushy. I knew that Mack was set up well and he and I had met in-person once before.

You absolutely need skid plates and some good tires for this particular place, at least to do everything we did. The North Loop is fine stock but the South Loop has some pretty big roots. The rod-mod makes for a better day but if you don't have it, at least 31" Zeons or the BFGs are in order.

Next trip likely in May for sure but possibly next month too.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh...and sorry Geo. My bad...next time for sure, now that I know how serious you are about going.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You absolutely need skid plates and some good tires for this particular place, at least to do everything we did. The North Loop is fine stock but the South Loop has some pretty big roots. The rod-mod makes for a better day but if you don't have it, at least 31" Zeons or the BFGs are in order.

Next trip likely in May for sure but possibly next month too.

Hum.. pics work here, anyone else having problems seeing them?

Yes that was crazy fun. I had the full rasta skids and definately needed them a couple times. But after about 10 minutes the wife gave me the go ahead for rocksliders and a gas tank skid :)

The South Loop is very tight and almost smacked the side on a tree a couple times. But overall no damage (well other than a couple hours of clean up and hand polishing some pinstripes out).

the BFG's were fantastic. Highly recommended.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went off-roading for the first real time last Saturday

Welcome to the "rather get it dirty than keep it clean" crowd! Looks like a blast. We don't get much wet stuff out here in Colorado. . . .at least not until late spring when the high country trails open up.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to make up to Seattle for one of your runs!! Tahuya doesn't look to bad!

ralph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW...plenty of water wheeling there....like milehighlr3 said not much water here to wheel, not even snow to play around in. Great video.....I went out Sat with a group from Denver who were mostly Jeeps, and other trucks makes with only one other Rover (45 total). The LR3 handle itself pretty good. Thought I would see more snow. The trail is 50 west of Colorado Springs.

Here is the video.

Front Range 4x4 at China Wall - YouTube

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan: Tahuya is not too bad at all. We (you, me and Mack) can walk through that stuff fairly easily with our rigs set up the way they are. It's always accessible and that's why we go there a lot. Only gripe is how easy it is to get LOST! If you wanted to make a trip up we can arrange that. Sounds liek we've got 3 rigs already plus Geo makes 4...but Geo I'd advise skid plates, sliders and all that.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan: Tahuya is not too bad at all. We (you, me and Mack) can walk through that stuff fairly easily with our rigs set up the way they are. It's always accessible and that's why we go there a lot. Only gripe is how easy it is to get LOST! If you wanted to make a trip up we can arrange that. Sounds liek we've got 3 rigs already plus Geo makes 4...but Geo I'd advise skid plates, sliders and all that.

Well gimme the list of items I need to rig it up for that stuff. Also any areas where I can still go with stock while I get other mods done? I definitely am considering skid plates and all.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Ralph: Cool vid. Terrain is much different up here. Not as much rocks and a lot more trees and ROOTS....lots of ROOTS and they are usually wet. Speaking of wet there is mud too. That's why generally the Zeons don't do as favorably up here in the PAC NW. I've been diggin' the MT/Rs a lot though.

@Geo: First thing I'd look into is sliders and skid plates. Then if you can get a rod-mod or the IIDTool so that you can get more clearance you'd be good to go at a place like Tahuya. At the places we go in Central WA or western OR, you're gonna need a more aggressive tire. If they truly make the Zeons in a 19" size now and you don't want to get a separate set of rims, those would do OK. Notice above I said they don't do "as favorably" up here, but they are still a pretty good AT tire. I ran them for over a year and liked them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV