The obligatory "Show off your LR3' thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, but the last time I was there (2010), there was a gate that prevented you from getting any closer than this:

DSC_0109.jpg

Super fun trail. That long water crossing is actually even longer than it looks in the photos. There's also a fairly deep crossing, with a large-ish boulder in the middle of it that you have to navigate near the beginning of the trail. That crossing happens to be at a hiking trailhead, and lots of people tend to gather and watch people drive across. It can apparently get pretty gnarly during the spring melt.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I have been there, the gate was closed to vehicle traffic, but you can get there on foot.

Just to clarify, this is North Half Moon. South Half Moon is just as fun, but no cool mine structure at the end.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That area is on the north branch. Did either of you take the south branch?
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/halfmoon_creek/maps/map_big.gif

We posted at the same time.

Yeah, I've done South. There is one creek crossing that was knarly at the time, but it changes so much. I thought I saw a thread on CO4x4 of someone running it last fall. South HM starts with a fairly deep creek crossing and from what I hear, is hard to find where to exit the creek. Then you zig-zag up the mountain and the last creek crossing is near the top. After that it levels out into a meadow and then dead ends at or near 13k ft.

rfh1987

Reaction score
We posted at the same time.

Yeah, I've done South. There is one creek crossing that was knarly at the time, but it changes so much. I thought I saw a thread on CO4x4 of someone running it last fall. South HM starts with a fairly deep creek crossing and from what I hear, is hard to find where to exit the creek. Then you zig-zag up the mountain and the last creek crossing is near the top. After that it levels out into a meadow and then dead ends at or near 13k ft.

This picture after water crossing 2 (reference the map) looks pretty nasty...
rocks_after_water_crossing_2.jpg

Have you done it in an LR3?

Last edited by a moderator:

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done the south end of the trail as well, at the 2009 National Rally. Here's a pic looking down on the trail from the dead end the jesus_man mentioned:

100_2085.jpg

Couldn't have asked for a better day to be there.

I feel like this end had the tough creek crossing that drops down into the creek, then climbs directly up a pretty rocky ledge. We had to get the straps out for a couple of people on that section.

ralph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
show off your LR3

Hey Paul,
Good to hear from you. I was wondering what happen to you since I did not see you on any trail runs last summer. I know you will be missing the Rocky Mtns. Good luck in PA.

Ralph

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Ralph,

Yeah, it was a pretty quick decision to move, and I ended up leaving in the middle of ski season (booo!). Glad to see you are still getting out with your LR3! Thanks for the well wishes.

Paul

Alora

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if the Kenwood receiver / touchscreen, Garmin GPS, backup cam on your is aftermarket or not. would luv to install same on my lr3. any clue. give me heads up pls!

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if the Kenwood receiver / touchscreen, Garmin GPS, backup cam on your is aftermarket or not. would luv to install same on my lr3. any clue. give me heads up pls!

Yes - all aftermarket. Mine still works great. I think there are a few around here that have gone that route. All that stuff is discontinued now, so you will either find it real cheap, or not at all. Im sure there is better options now, but the trick will be finding something that fits perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72