Thinking of Upgrading from LR3 to LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grecoroman

Reaction score
Hello LR4 Owners-

A few years ago, I bought a high-mileage (120k to be exact) 2006 Alaska White LR3 HSE. I love the vehicle, but have since put on another 30k miles.

I'm thinking of upgrading to an LR4. I have my eye on -- It's a 2010 in Santorini Black with 68k miles on the clock.

Before thinking of purchasing, I'm going to get it inspected by an independent mechanic. Some common issues I had or knew about on an LR3:
Control Arms/Bushings/Tie Rod Ends
Front Wheel Hubs/Bearings
Front Valve Block on Suspension (caused it to drop if it would sit for an extended time)
Bleed Valve on Thermostat

Could you all provide me with a list for the LR4? Is it essentially the same? What should I specifically look at on an LR4 with 50-70k miles on the odometer?

Many Thanks-
LR3 Owner

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Grecoroman,

I'm sure other people have different experiences but here is what I've had to get done so far (luckily I have a certified warranty on it):

- battery at 47,500
- passenger door handles (proximity sensor didn't work on both front and rear)
- passenger window regulator (front and rear, done at same time than above)
- rear brakes (regular maintenance)
- air compressor at 51,000
- key recognition module
- rear ride height sensor
- instrument cluster (car stopped working thanks to it being dead all the sudden)
- front brakes warped, replaced rotors and pads once... 300 miles later same pulsation... Replaced again the whole thing... 100 miles later... Pulsates again... Going to get hubs checked next week.

I might be forgetting something.

I have to add that besides all of this and all the times having to get a loaner or a rental car, I'm still in love with my truck. The only thing that truly makes me unhappy is the front end shaking/ pulsating.

Axel

grecoroman

Reaction score
Thank you very much! This is exactly the kind of list I was looking to find.

I have to be honest -- that's a bit scary! Hope you get your pulsating issue fixed.

I had the wheel vibration in my LR3 which were due to the bushings in the control arms wore out.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much! This is exactly the kind of list I was looking to find.

I have to be honest -- that's a bit scary! Hope you get your pulsating issue fixed.

I had the wheel vibration in my LR3 which were due to the bushings in the control arms wore out.

Did you get it all the time or only when braking?

horns

Reaction score
2012 LR4 w/ 25K on the odometer. (2.5 yrs in service)
very few problems.
My key fob is peeling apart (I believe someone posted about this as a TSB previously).
It had a low coolant level and they replaced the water pump under warranty.
I'm still on the first set of brakes / rotors, but that's probably coming soon.
otherwise the truck has held up great and I anticipate it will continue to do so. When I purchased it (based on prior LR history) I always thought that I would let the car go before it went out of warranty, but with what I have seen thus far, I may be in it for the long haul.

I would think any rover that has been well cared for would have a service record at the local LR dealer (at least for the first 50K miles).

good luck.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get it all the time or only when braking?

Just saw this after I posted a new thread. Interested as well. I'm getting a shimmy in my front end... maybe worn control arm bushings?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saw this after I posted a new thread. Interested as well. I'm getting a shimmy in my front end... maybe worn control arm bushings?

I believe that you'd hear a clank sound when going over bumps/potholes if you had this kind of issue...
Slight shimmy at speed and shaking under braking (shaking is caused by whatever is not in good shape which seems to be messing up my front brakes).
I do hear a clank when going over bumps and even more when off-roading but dealer is telling me everything is ok as far as control arm bushings and such...
Set up an appointment to get my oil changed next week and they will check my hubs... We'll see.
Independent guy thinks that's the problem. Not sure if covered by warranty.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that you'd hear a clank sound when going over bumps/potholes if you had this kind of issue...
Slight shimmy at speed and shaking under braking (shaking is caused by whatever is not in good shape which seems to be messing up my front brakes).
I do hear a clank when going over bumps and even more when off-roading but dealer is telling me everything is ok as far as control arm bushings and such...
Set up an appointment to get my oil changed next week and they will check my hubs... We'll see.
Independent guy thinks that's the problem. Not sure if covered by warranty.

Texting you... one sec

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At certain speeds -- not just when braking. Mine happened to occur around 50-53mph.

I get it between 25-35mph and also around 55-60. Dealer hasn't been able to find anything. Parts of me blames it on the spacers but it may not make sense.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635