This is a little odd to me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselRanger

Reaction score
Hi Folks, glad to be a member here and thanks in advance to those who chime in the conversion. I am a little surprised with our 2017 discovery Sport, currently have our truck at the dealership after the Brake lights turning on for the first time. I saw the light appear at 11,900 Km to be exact, thats right under 12k Kilometres. I am scratching my head because the dealership just messaged me saying;

"The technician has finished the inspection on your vehicle and the brake pad light is on due to the rear brakes being at 2 mm which trips the sensor. The cost to replace the rear brakes would be $1007.19 plus tax (brake pads, discs, sensor and labor included)." This is in Canadian dollars

I'll add the car is a lease, not sure if that changes how they assess a vehicle since they will sell it once I return it after our term. Also we have an 8 month baby and the car since Dec. 2017, we both work at home and drive quite careful with the recent born. Mostly city driving, have always had the car in Eco mode and have never put in sport mode (to help give you an idea of how we drive).

Any suggestions? Advice? are we being taken for?
All new Land Rovers have cornering brake control, which drags your inside rear brake to enhance turn-in. Stability control also uses brakes to keep the vehicle stable in, say, high crosswinds on the highway, and the brakes are rear-biased in stopping as an anti-dive measure.

Mine only lasted 30,000 miles, whereas my 2010 VW Touareg, which was heavier by several hundred pounds, went 70,000+ miles on the OEM brakes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Discovery modulates the driver's generated brake pressure to the inside wheels to maintain stability when braking in corners. The new Discovery does not apply uncommanded braking during maneuvering like the Discovery Sport and Range Rover Sport (there may be others) do. Only unskilled drivers brake in corners or during maneuvering.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Your vehicle is also equipped with torque vectoring brakes in the rear which causes the brakes to be applied when turning even if you are not pressing the brake pedal."

In summary this 'feature' adds $10K to maintenance cost (assuming dealer) over 75,000 miles. Now about the pollution created by this feature ........

JLR is headed in the wrong direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72