Thoughts on An Exterior Color?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I indicated in a previous post, I am considering purchasing an LR4 in the weeks (or maybe months) ahead and will be posting some questions in order to get insight from those of you who have experience with this vehicle.

I realize the question of external color is VERY subjective. But there are also some practical implications with some colors.
Black looks great if it is perfectly clean. (Yes, as with some of the rest of you I am a bit OCD on this.)
White can look great but my last 3 vehicles have been white and I may want to mix it up this time. Here in Colorado, much of the winter the lower half of your vehicle will be brown due to the splash of dirty, melted snow. And much of my Summer will be spent on dusty, dirty (rarely muddy) back roads.
Not really into silver or light great.
Maybe would consider a dark grey but would this go with a tan interior.
What about dark green or a shade of brown?

Any practical implications of a particular color? I am considering adding accessories like a roof rack, etc.

Dan

Torkramer

Reaction score
I think Brown is a great color for some cars, and the LR4 is one of them. I would recommend both that and dark green.

I haven't had first-hand experience, but I imagine Brown doesn't show dirt much at all, although dark green might.

If you get near trees, lighter colors help to hide pinstriping.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are 40-something, get Firenze Red. :biggrin: Very few around, and it goes well with the black pack, too.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have gone with black, but the contrast with the windows, especially the rear side glass, is lost and it looks like a van.

I choose Fuji White because of the contrast and because its the only solid paint color. I have already had to repaint mine in a few places twice since March! and the paint match and blend is easy and cheaper than with any of the other colors. All of the others are metallic or multistage paint processes.

I also dig the storm trooper look. Black, White, no chrome.

I do really like a lot of the colors available. umbertob's red is fantastic looking. for me though, white is just sublime. Fuji is such a strong pure white, it stands out next to any other white cars also.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have gone with black, but the contrast with the windows, especially the rear side glass, is lost and it looks like a van.

I choose Fuji White because of the contrast and because its the only solid paint color. I have already had to repaint mine in a few places twice since March! and the paint match and blend is easy and cheaper than with any of the other colors. All of the others are metallic or multistage paint processes.

I also dig the storm trooper look. Black, White, no chrome.

I do really like a lot of the colors available. umbertob's red is fantastic looking. for me though, white is just sublime. Fuji is such a strong pure white, it stands out next to any other white cars also.
I completely agree!

I also like many of the available colors, especially Corris Grey. Umberto's Firenze Red with the black design package is incredible and stunning in person (just saw my first one the other day).

Personally, I like the lighter colors of the LR4 (and Firenze Red) with the black design package, while the darker colors do look really nice with the stock silver trim.

I chose Fuji White because it reflects sunlight and is an easy-to-fix solid paint color. In addition, it really hides trail scratches (from brush) very well. I've been down a few trails and branches scraped across the side and you can barely see it - especially after a good clay bar and waxing. I had Nara Bronze on my 2011 and you could see every single tiny scratch - same with black and some of the other darker colors.

Like mbw says, the Fuji White is such a crisp vibrant white color and actually stands out among other white cars that are more of a yellow tint. Since I wanted black trim, the Fuji White looks awesome with the black design package.

I already wrote about my choice of interior colors. I've had ebony on all my previous vehicles, almond/tan on my 2011, so I wanted something different and the Arabica is such a beautiful dark brown color. I have two big yellow and red dogs, so it hides the hair well. With that said, I do have black rubber mats in the front and second row floors.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I wondered how the bronze color would do with scratches. I suspect grey may be similar. I don't plan to beat this one up but scratches will almost be inevitable. So you are selling me on white. I'll just need to add enough "black" accessories and the black design package.

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ipanema sand is nicer in person than you would think. I chose it over the red, sight unseen, and really like it. Goes well with the std trim and sparkle finish wheels. The blue is very nice too.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My current choices would be:

1) Fuji White
2) Corris Grey

White for the same reason everyone has stated. My 2011 JKU was white and it hardly showed any marks from branches unless you got really close and was looking. Plus I think the white on these vehicles just makes them stand out nice and bright!

I really like dark grey cars and that would be my reason for the Corris Gray or Okney Gray.

The more I look at the LR4 thought I am pretty sure there really isn't a bad color on this vehicle. Pretty hard to go wrong.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our LR3 is gray and has scratches down both sides from people who can't control their skis and poles when walking through a crowded parking lot at a ski resort. The primer under the gray is white, so white is the best color for hiding scratches. But the gray still looks OK when covered in road salt and winter crud.

We live in a town with a drive-on beach, and I can think of at least 25 other LR3/LR4's that I see regularly around town. For now, we have the only Firenze Red LR4 and really like the uniqueness of the color. Easy to clean and wax, much lower maintenance than the many black cars we have owned.

joyce

Reaction score
nara bronze. hides road scruff well. and although i don't have the black pack- i have seen pics and it's sharp.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72