Time to get a new key - WA/OR area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dochummer

Reaction score
Just a quick update on my Key FOB issue. More recently my only FOB was losing its battery contact. So, I initially purchased an extra uncut key from an ebay seller who sells remotes for less $ ;)... I have been working with GAP Diagnostics and their IIDTool. We were unable to get the keys to program to the vehicle. They even ordered a key from the same supplier and used the official LR method with no success. So, I returned that key and ordered one from a dealer that sells LR Parts Cheap... This order was done with my VIN and cost around $200. I then worked with IIDTool again and was able to program my key last night. So, for those that have an IIDTool, there is the option to program on your own.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and now the task of finding a place to cut the key without flying to Texas!

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was a dealer and they required the VIN, then it may have been cut already. Mine cost $260 from my dealership. And I know who you mean by remotes for less. I also had to return mine as we couldn't do anything with it.

So dusting off my experimental notes, if you buy a "spare" key off eBay from someone who found it in their drawer after they sold their Rover, even if you replace the key blank, you will not be able to pair it to your vehicle because it has the seed for the wrong VIN # implanted.

If you buy a "blank" from another source (there are lots originating from China), it seems there are some who claim it can be paired to your vehicle, which I am skeptical of - I don't know of a US Land Rover dealership who can do any of this in house - they have to order the keys from the factory in the UK and provide a VIN # for the order, which I believe is part of the seeding process to allow your new key to be paired. I vaguely remember coming across some non LR description of the cryptography handshaking going on - the key has to trust the vehicle and the vehicle has to trust the key. The latter is achieved with the "pairing" - without the former, the latter fails. My theory is that LR UK keeps something akin to the private key for each VIN which they blow into the fob so the vehicle agrees a match with the same private key that is squirreled away somewhere in the immobilizer circuitry.

If you look at the circuit board you'll see it appears there is a one time program RFID chip - I have a Chinese RFID key reader sitting on my bench waiting for me to get some spare time to Experiment for Science. They also use the VIN # to lookup the pattern for their key cutter which is I am told, akin to a CNC machine. Maybe that's where the Legend of the Uncuttable Key came from.

By the way, my locksmith was able to make his copy without removing the blank from the fob. Maybe I got lucky and this old guy knew some dodges that others didn’t :)

Long story short, yes I handed over $260 to my LR dealer but declined their kind offer of $120 programming fee. What they wanted to charge me an hour for, took about five minutes with my kit. When I mentioned it to my service advisor his comeback was that their equipment takes at least twenty minutes to set up and they have slow laptops. I've seen the software and I grant you it's slow as molasses and you probably should attach the LR to a battery maintainer when doing any programming work, but that still smacks to me of a restaurant wanting to charge you for the time it takes to lay the table and wash the flatware by adding a surcharge to your steak dinner. Oh wait maybe they do....

I need a beer now....

Last edited:

dochummer

Reaction score
Yeah, I paid $213 for my key, that was cut from LR. It sure is nice to be able to save $120 on the programming fee. ;)

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just and FYI, I ordered a key from an outfit in CA. Another fellow locally also ordered one. He got his cut, and determined that it would not be programmable. I contacted the company and arranged to ship the key back, which I did. Months later, I still had not received a refund, I contacted them. They insisted they did not receive it. I sent them proof of delivery, they still wanted to argue. Finally they claimed I had cut the key, so they would not refund me, which I did not. I have contacted them every few months ever since, and never received a refund, only BS, stalling and ignoring my requests. I would suggest, ordering it through a dealer or online dealer, but NOT these third party keys. I would suggest avoiding doing business with this outfit. It has not been a year and a half, and I'm out my 129.00 + shipping.

John Jones
[email protected]
Remote's Inc.
1564 Fitzgerald Drive - Unit #118
Pinole, CA

dochummer

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with a suspension compressor from CA. Ended up charging it back on CC...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635