Tire size options for my 96 disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
JJMyerz said:
Here are two examples of OME MD Springs and 245s, the latter with D2 Flares:

Justin

Nice pix!

245's.... Do you know what profile? are they
LT245/75R16/E

Also ( I know this is most likely a noob question but....) what does "OME MD" stand for? Is it a make or a size? (it even feels stupid to type that question) :eek:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME - Old Man Emu (brand name) - distributed by ARB in North America.
MD - medium duty. Related to rating of springs

245/75 are nice lil' tyres - not too big for street runner, not too smal (as stock) to get on byways.

Other day was walking next to Disco 2 with stock suspension and tyres, thinking "wow.. now that looks seriously low" :) But then its actually not. Turned out they had them running boards...

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
Uzbad said:
OME - Old Man Emu (brand name) - distributed by ARB in North America.
MD - medium duty. Related to rating of springs

Do you have to upgrade anything else if you want to swap those springs in?

btw... all this help is VERY cool. Not many user communities are this helpful !

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300zxtt2+2 said:
Do you have to upgrade anything else if you want to swap those springs in?

btw... all this help is VERY cool. Not many user communities are this helpful !

Lots of them are :) You just have to know where to look :)

1.5" lift shall not yeld any issues even on D1 (D2 has front shaft that is more tolerant of lifts ), and if i remember correctly MDs are about 1.5" (-/+ 0.5).

In general answer - no. You may however increase wear (due angle increase) on your rear shaft's rubber thoroid (aka rubber donut aka rotoflex) if you still got rotoflex in there.

It also will set off your steering a bit, but at mild lift it shall be easily compensated by alignment shop.

Thats about it really.

Unless you gonna use added articulation, than you may need to extend brake lines and ABS sensor's wires.

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
Uzbad said:
Lots of them are :) You just have to know where to look :)

In general answer - no. You may however increase wear (due angle increase) on your rear shaft's rubber thoroid (aka rubber donut aka rotoflex) if you still got rotoflex in there.

I spend most of my time on twinturbo.net (because of a 300zx I own) and while they are LOADED with information, they usually tear into everyone that knows less about the 300zx than they do. It can taint you to other forums I guess. :ahhhhh:

As for the rotoflex... I have only had my disco for a couple of weeks but that was the first part I got rid of.

(anyone need a 96 disco rear drive shaft? ) :biggrin:

Thanks, now I'm off to go price OME MD's.

Shawn

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick aside:

This site was designed to be much more of a community than other sites where newbies are routinely "initiated" through thrashing.

Welcome aboard -- hope we can help again in the future!

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:) yeah, that would be pity. So far here isnt much of eye poking :)

Shawn - when you going pricing things keep in mind that OME springs (and stock springs) are sided. I.e ones on driver side are in fact longer than ones on passenger.

This causing Disco to lean on right side (in NAS models) when there is no driver inside.
Many people (present company included) like to have leveled truck, so if you in this group too - check for "matched" OME springs - some distributors will sell equal length springs (guess they just mix-match sets).

ExpeditionExchange is one that sells OME matched springs.

However there are other manufacturers of springs (Rovertym, NWP, and i am not quite sure about Bearmach (DAP-inc sells those)) that producing own spring sets that are matched by design. Just a thought :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99