TMPS Recommendation ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen others have issues with compos and others, but with my experience with these specific sensors and my compos and KO2s, they have worked fine for almost 3 years.

I don’t like giving a guarantee since my sample set is a limited 5 wheels/sensors, but I have put them through the ringer. My compos have all sorts of scratches and dings from the trail, and one of my KO2s has a small slice in the sidewall that is slightly concerning but I have not had any flats(knock on wood).

Last edited:

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen others have issues with compos and others, but with my experience with these specific sensors and my compos and KO2s, they have worked fine for almost 3 years.

I don’t like giving a guarantee since my sample set is a limited 5 wheels/sensors, but I have put them through the ringer. My compos have all sorts of scratches and dings from the trail, and one of my KO2s has a small slice in the sidewall that is slightly concerning but I have not had any flats(knock on wood).

I’m not inherently skeptical about your success, i am just trying to understand how they mount.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not inherently skeptical about your success, i am just trying to understand how they mount.

I'm not sure what I'm being so dense about.

My understanding is that the OEM TPMS sensors cannot be mounted on non-OEM wheels without difficulty and without additional hardware (e.g. straps).

Tire Rack, however, says the sensor they list for the LR4, linked above and again here ...
https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/detai...toYear=2015&autoModel=LR4&autoModClar=HSE+LUX

... mounts through the valve hole on any wheel out there and requires no additional hardware to keep it secure.

All of that seems reasonable until I look at the OEM LR sensors and realize they look essentially the same ... same size, roughly, same valve hole mount, etc. Leaving me wondering what would prevent the OEM sensors from mounting on Compos or steelies but allow the Tire Rack aftermarket sensors to mount just fine.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you need to go back and re-read what you think caused the red flag.

I haven't seen anything that indicates the OEM sensors do not work in the Compos. I think a lot of people had the tire shop pull the sensors out of their original wheels and put them in the Compos.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I haven't seen anything that indicates the OEM sensors do not work in the Compos. I think a lot of people had the tire shop pull the sensors out of their original wheels and put them in the Compos.

It's all in here ...

https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/new-tpmss-for-new-r18-tires-lr4.40471/

... including replies from me along these same lines, trying to understand the reports from other folks earlier in that thread reporting an inability to mount their OEM sensors on Compos and steelies.

equalizer

Reaction score

I originally did just that, mounted the TPMS on Compos with brand new TPMS seals.
First occasion of below freeze temperature/thermal shock the ****** began to leak. Not on one but two tires the same night.

That's when I pulled the TPMS off, disabled the TPMS system and set the perfectly working TPMS aside.
Maybe it was just an unfortunate event.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally did just that, mounted the TPMS on Compos with brand new TPMS seals.
First occasion of below freeze temperature/thermal shock the ****** began to leak. Not on one but two tires the same night.

That's when I pulled the TPMS off, disabled the TPMS system and set the perfectly working TPMS aside.
Maybe it was just an unfortunate event.

In my case, I'm looking to install TPMS (OEM or new, I don't care) on a set of TuffAnts that are on the way. Just trying to figure out what I need to do. Talking to TuffAnt about this as well, who originally advised straps for the OEM sensors. Asking about these other, aftermarket ones, but don't expect them to have specific experience with them.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess his is the only mention of that I've seen. Looks like he's also posted in this thread.

Unless I'm misreading other posts, there is at least one other user reporting incompatibility, possibly two. One user in that other thread noted,

"So just left discount tire and the VDU TPMS sensors, which have an aluminum nut similar to the OEM TPMS would not sit flush in the 18” terrafirma wheel. I called both Lucky8 and Atlantic British and asked about compatible sensors for wheel and they said they haven’t heard of TPMS that fit the wheel and work. I asked what are people doing and informed just driving with the light on."

That is Terrafirma, equalizer's situation was with Compos, I'm dealing with TuffAnts. At this point I may just have to wait and see what the installer reports. Talking to TuffAnt tonight again to see what they say.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, in the meantime -- several websites (Atlantic British, a few LR dealers, etc) are returning both 315mhz and 433mhz TPMS for the MY13 LR4.

Anyone have any insight on which is correct? Or will the truck actually work with either?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi