Took the rig off road - now my center stack squeaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but does your center stack sound like it loosened up a little bit?
I agree with mbw and AxelR - you should really push the dealership to investigate and fix it properly. If you don't get the attention you should, then I would escalate to Land Rover of North America. I went off roading over a dozen times in my 2011 and it never made noises - well, except the seat belt clip made a slight noise.

I've only been off road once in my 2013 that I got in June and it is still very quiet. Well, apart from the wind noise from all the crap I have on the roof.

-David

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am slightly conflicted about this. Hear me out: I hesitate to bring it in for the service techs to try and "search" for the source of the squeaking/creaking only for them to loosen her up even more. Because let's face it, if they take the console stack and dash apart (b/c it sounds like some are coming from deep inside the dash), there is potential for this to become a slippery slope thus making things worse.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about taking it apart. It is put together pretty well, things go back together nicely.

Just go get it looked at.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about taking it apart. It is put together pretty well, things go back together nicely.

Just go get it looked at.

Totally agree with mbw. This is too nice if a vehicle to hear it squeak.
Go get it checked.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My glove box was rattling so I took it in and mentioned it. They clearly said when they put pressure on it the noise stopped. They ordered me a new glove box unit under warranty. It took a few months to get in but it's perfect now.

I would take it in, they'll fix it.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, taking it in next Monday. Rode around with the Service Advisor today so he could hear the cabin. It isn't just the front dash/center console, there's noises in the rear cargo, near the ceiling, and he (SA) thinks the tailgate is loose because it shudders over uneven pavement.

There are definitely muted squeaks/creaks all over so I am not sure what they're going to be able to pinpoint. SA suggests they redo a post-delivery service to prepare it like it were going for sale in the showroom. Something like re-torquing everything, lubing all the seals, and lubing the dash/console with Krytox.

It is definitely a good start to quieting her (and me) down :smile:

Really like this vehicle though, really fond of it.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '10 LR4 had a cranky dash. Everything else was solid... No rattles or anything. But the dash, when hitting sharp bumps, made little plastic cracking, snapping noises. As if you stressed plastic and it snaps for a millisecond. Annoyed me a little... And I tried to quiet her up, with no success, so chalked it up. This was one thing I didn't miss after I traded her in.

BTW, speaking of the day you're trucks were built, my RRS was made on December 21st, 2012, the day the world was supposed to end... The day no one was paying any attention to anything. I mean... Really, out of all the days to be built mine was made on the last day on earth. So far the truck had been fine, but I'm just waiting for a major surprise. Maybe a goodbye note inside the dash or glued to the bottom of the seat.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got my rig back after two full days of it being in the shop. I must say they did a marvelous job! Sure, I still hear some sharp but short "ticks" every now and again on uneven or warped pavement but it is such a huge improvement that I am not going to even think about it anymore. They eliminated 90% of what I was hearing and they resolved the two rattles I was hearing (front and back). Wow.

My lesson learned is to never take the rig down a washboard road ever again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4