Took the rig off road - now my center stack squeaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, to be fair, the center stack probably squeaked the day I bought it but after taking "off road" I am very sensitive to hearing it squeak even on smooth roads. It's driving me nuts and I am unable to narrow it down. I know it is a fruitless effort to try and get the dealer to have a look.

I guess the one thing I learned is I do not like high desert riding where there are washboard roads.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer can probably fix it, but its rare to find a dealer that takes the time to fix it the right way.

It does take time and experimentation, but I think it is best to work on it yourself.

You can stabilize a part and test it, remove parts, add foam. Just do one thing at a time and see if you can isolate where it is coming from first. Then you can figure out a fix. Reposition/tighten, or add padding, etc.

I am very impressed with the fit and finish of the interior on the LR4. I've put all kinds of stuff in and on my rover and its still perfectly quite. I do wish they would have padded door pockets and glove box better, since things in those do make noise.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I "think" I figured it out but probably have to live with it

So, I did a little conclusion by exclusion since I have nothing better to do on a Sunday morning.

After inserting and then systematically removing foam, none of the trim panels' "expansion joints" made noise. Zero (which is good). What I deduced is that the squeaking/creaking noises are coming from a couple trim panels' themselves "flexing". I narrowed it down to two panels that I think are causing 90% of the noise.

Oh well. Time for my obsession to go away:stupid:

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washboard roads are a big pain in the ass... :frown:

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The way I look at it, the vehicle dash/center console stack would have loosened up over time. I merely accelerated the loosening. I just drove my friend's brand new LR4 off the lot and it definitely is more sound deadened than my 3 day old LR4 :smile: Oh well, use it for what it was built for :biggrin:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my 2013 LR4 HSE Lux in March, and I already have rock chips, and over 10k miles on her. I better pace myself, I want to keep this thing a long time.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a $60K automobile, your dealer should fix that squeak. Period. When mine shows up in a couple of months, if I hear a squeak, a rattle, or anything except silence, the dealer is on the hook. Considering all the hassle I went through to even buy one, it's the least my dealer can do.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my 2013 LR4 HSE Lux in March, and I already have rock chips, and over 10k miles on her. I better pace myself, I want to keep this thing a long time.

Yeah, but does your center stack sound like it loosened up a little bit?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but does your center stack sound like it loosened up a little bit?

Nope, its dead silent inside, which is impressive since I even have the cargo barrier inside. I figured it would make some noise, but it doesn't.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 with 45,*** miles on it, is dead silent as well. Even after going off-road and being pretty rough with it.
I would be extremely upset if I were to purchase an expensive luxury truck and have it make squeaky sounds and rattles.
You should definitely take it back to the dealership and have them clear this issue, customer satisfaction and quality is part of their rating and they should provide you with a great experience as well as a high quality truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99