Tow Assist Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braval

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 lux with all options incliding Vision Assist and have had the dealership program the Tow Assist to tow our boat. I have followed the instructional video which discusses placing the sticker in the red zone - which I have done - but it does not turn green as per the instructional video. Furthermore, it is difficult to set the trailer width acurately as the camera seems off set. With these issues the tow assist does not work. The dealership in Canada does not seem to have any knowledge about this feature. If anyone is familiar or able to offer some help with this it would be greatly appreciated!

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with the sticker. You have to place it on the front of the trailer, closer to the camera. I was placing it in the back and the camera couldn't recognize it. If you place it more forward, The box on the screen should turn green. As for the width of the trailer, try to get it as close as you can. Doesn't have to be perfect.
Hope this helps.

Braval

Reaction score
Thank you for your help, you were correct with regards to the sticker but the problem still persisted. We ended up having to add 1080 resisters to the signals on the trailer (as the new trailers all come with LED lights, not enough resistance for the LR4 computer to recognize a trailer is attached to vehicle). We are now using the Tow Assist and it is working well! :smile:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help, you were correct with regards to the sticker but the problem still persisted. We ended up having to add 1080 resisters to the signals on the trailer (as the new trailers all come with LED lights, not enough resistance for the LR4 computer to recognize a trailer is attached to vehicle). We are now using the Tow Assist and it is working well! :smile:

Excellent!

tobyoconn

Reaction score
I think I have the same problem on my 2010 Range Rover. My trailer does not get detected and therefore I don't get to use the Tow Assist features. However, I do get to listen to the back up alarm going off continually when I am trying to reverse!

My trailer has bulbs all around except for the tail lights that are LED. I am hoping that the issue is that this is the circuit that the car senses to detect a trailer. If I increase the resistance then the car will notice the trailer?

You mentioned that your fix was to install "1080 resistors". What are these and how many did you have to install. I see plenty of 6Ohm (50Watt) resistors online that appear to be for this purpose - will they work? I don't see any 1080 resistors online...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...We ended up having to add 1080 resisters to the signals on the trailer (as the new trailers all come with LED lights, not enough resistance for the LR4 computer to recognize a trailer is attached to vehicle). ...
Wow! That's pretty interesting. This will probably affect a lot of cars. Be curious to see how LR responds to this complaint that anyone with a new trailer is going to experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo