Towing Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adgunn94

Reaction score
Well, I discovered my 94 Discovery is not a tow truck. After 320 miles of pulling a 99 Ford ****** on a Car-dolly, the rover needed a break. I pulled 2 mountain ranges, 1 pass that went from 3000ft up to over 9000 ft in about 4 miles. ( only 2 stops to cool the engine) the other range was worse. 3000 ft up to 9500 ft in 16 miles. constand fighting the grade!!!! had to pull over 6 times to let it cool off. but i discovered that i think my coolant sending unit is bad. if i turned off my lights the temp gauge would drop 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

i got an amazing 8 mpg. 140 miles on over 3/4 tank. after i got through the mountains, and back on flat ground, i dropped it in D and got it at 70mph. filled up after i got in and got 14mpg.

Upon my arrival, i installed a mechanical temp gauge
with the mechanical gauge showing 180 the factory was showing lower of normal
and when it showed 210 the factory gauge never moved.
just wondering how hot it had to be to make the factory show hot????:mad:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Never trust factory gauges on a Rover.... I hate to say this, but I almost never trust any factory vehicle gauges.... unless I have seen verified them.

adgunn94

Reaction score
thats what i figured, ive been running it for a couple of days now, and the highest ive seen it about 220, that was idling with my electric fan off, and the a/c going full blast. with the a/c off it will run all day at 195 or so. im running som radiator flush through it that you leave in for 6 hours run time or so, and i hope that will clean it up and improve my cooling ability. i know that i will probably need to get a new radiator, but im trying to make that need last until tax time.

new issue: after half of my towing, i took a break at my family's cabin in the mountains, 26 mile forest road, not maintained, took 1 1/2 hours to drive, no need for low range, but many good grades, and some good mud, i did use my central lock, but only low range for fun. upon my return to the cabin, i put it in low to back up the hill, and then i couldnt get into high. after a break, i looked under and discovered that the linkage to the transfercase broke on the end that is bolted to the long rod. i had to use a big screwdriver and get it back into high range...my question is where can i get a new piece, or do i need to bust out with some stock, and a torch and make my own?? what is the dependability of the linkage??

over im happy with the rover, it had unstoppable offroad ability bone stock, and has adequate power for my needs, just millions of little gremilins to work out of it and i'll have a pretty nice truck...

you'd think that a $40k vehicle that rolled off the line would have less issues....:stupid:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is a $40k vehicle that has been hand built. So issues will come up.

As far are the part in question. It sounds like rust or lack of use causing it to stick might be the issue.

Parts, you can buy new at (Nathan) www.discountbritishparts.com or you can call for Used (Will Tillery) at www.roverguy.com

Either way it should be an easy fix, compared to an engine rebuild

adgunn94

Reaction score
i'll try them, the piece is broken off, i noticed that it was bent up pretty good, and i straightend it when i had my initial shifting problems, it shifts fine, just think that linkage was too weakend from being bent.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4