Towing - Who has towed what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought i read in there that the trailer didnt have brakes. My bad

Geotrash

Reaction score
Since no one has posted it yet, thought I'd just add the the LR3 towing capacity is 7700 lbs.

Last edited:

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since no one has posted it yet, thought I'd just add the the LR3 towing capacity is 7700 lbs.

And I'd like to add that I initially felt confident with a heavy camper, but downsized to one that weighs less than 4000 lbs fully loaded... Its a much nicer feeling when I nearly forget that the camper is back there.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading all these comments and posts I feel more comfortable about towing and using my LR3 for towing than the F-150 I was initially going to buy. I'll be towing a 1986 Jaguar Vanden Plas about 300 miles and then periodically towing a 1952 Willys M38 Army jeep about 100 miles each way. I think that Jag weighs around 5000 lbs and the Willys M38 around 3900-4000 lbs. I don't remember what a U-Haul open car trailer weighs but that's what I'll be using the few times I do tow.
I had my dealership in Bedford, NH add the wiring and tow hitch receiver for towing, but not sure about the brake controller piece.
Any thoughts?

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading all these comments and posts I feel more comfortable about towing and using my LR3 for towing than the F-150 I was initially going to buy. I'll be towing a 1986 Jaguar Vanden Plas about 300 miles and then periodically towing a 1952 Willys M38 Army jeep about 100 miles each way. I think that Jag weighs around 5000 lbs and the Willys M38 around 3900-4000 lbs. I don't remember what a U-Haul open car trailer weighs but that's what I'll be using the few times I do tow.
I had my dealership in Bedford, NH add the wiring and tow hitch receiver for towing, but not sure about the brake controller piece.
Any thoughts?

Here's a thread on brake controllers:

http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=18982

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

Not 100% but I do believe the u-haul trailers are equipped with surge brakes not electric brakes. Call your local u-haul and ask. I don't think you will need the electric trailer brake controller though..

40lr3

Reaction score
I saw the post and had to add my two cents. I have a 2006 SE (V6) and tow a 26' trailer weighing about 6000 lbs loaded. My family and I just got back from the Maritimes, we put on nearly 4000Kms. The LR3 is a great tow vehicle. The vehicle weight makes controlling a trailer great. I agree with the a couple of other posts - 1) when things go bad they go bad in a hurry and 2) wind is the biggest enemy to comfort and gas mileage. If anyone has ever towed through New Brunswick they know the hills are brutal - long and hard and wind gusts are frequent - with warnings of wind in lots of valleys.

Ontario and Quebec are flat by comparison. I was able to drive with comfort at 70 - 75 miles an hour - 12 hours straight through from Fredericton to Ottawa. I wish I had the V8, but the V6 is adequate.

happy towing.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just picked up a mint Malibu Vride this weekend

vride.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member