Trailer programming with GAP IID tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Technically, you don't need any of it for it to work. The trailer assist was a fancy option that helps stabilize the trailer without weight distribution bars and with the help of trailer stickers the camera system helps guide backing up. I enabled everything as well and it does trigger a trailer assist light in the dash when a trailer is hooked up. Just remember, led trailer lights require an adapter like this. https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit...2460hGJuKAnLZyy11Q6J3_UmWascCsuNYXUi3K8EFmqqI

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried that Curt LED trailer dongle, it did not work. I measured resistance between every pin with my multimeter, and there was none. What did work was magnetic mount incandescent trailer lights with the flat 4-pin connector. Trailer would hook up to the 7-pin socket, extra lights to the 4-pin.

bdd123

Reaction score
Does anyone get a reading at the 7 pin truck connector, pin #3 with lights on and using either a test light or multimeter?

bdd123

Reaction score
I tried that Curt LED trailer dongle, it did not work. I measured resistance between every pin with my multimeter, and there was none. What did work was magnetic mount incandescent trailer lights with the flat 4-pin connector. Trailer would hook up to the 7-pin socket, extra lights to the 4-pin.
What DID work? or did you ever get the 7 connector to work? 4 pin does not have all the features that the 7 does and won't work for me, no brake controller, no reverse, no aux/charge. Plus on mine like on the 7 pin no tail/running lights.

Last edited:

bdd123

Reaction score
Wouldn't work for me as I need to make use of existing trailer lights and brakes. What I am trying to get to the bottom of is why running lights and tail lights do not show any voltage when read with a multimeter or test light, all others are working as expected. I have read about some trailer lights not working if LED somehow related to draw, but nothing definitive about what works and does not.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Darn, I would have picked one up too. I haven't towed in a while either. That was my alternative to adding an ohm resistor between the 2 leads. Here's the post on it, https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/trailer-light-question.28411/post-204232.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trailer LED lights definitely worked for me, even without the additional lights, using the 7-pin connector. When the car detects the trailer, it will blink a trailer icon when you have the turn signals on. That didn't work with just the trailer lights, and since the trailer is shared, I didn't want to modify it to add load resistors. Adding the extra lights provided the necessary resistance for my application. I don't think the trailer brake controller cares if the car detects the trailer or not, it works regardless (as long as the 7-pin connector is properly connected). If the trailer's lights arent' working at all, I'd check the connection of the trailer harness near the rear left tail light.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my research the trailer sway control does not require the trailer to be connected either. So there shouldn’t be any safety concerns.

Same reason we don’t have a tow/haul mode. The transmission and other computers just adapt to the extra load.

bdd123

Reaction score
Darn, I would have picked one up too. I haven't towed in a while either. That was my alternative to adding an ohm resistor between the 2 leads. Here's the post on it, https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/trailer-light-question.28411/post-204232.
I got some of these. Hooked up a uhaul trailer on the 7 pin and the magnetic incandescent lights on 4 pin.

Nothing to tail lights. Brake, reverse, blinkers work.

Disconnected harness in rear cargo area tested there with the same results.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72