Trailer Wiring Kit from Atlantic British

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slowpoke13

Reaction score
I picked up a kit used, what size screws did it come with (I am without). I plan on hitting up West Marine for some quality stainless steel screws.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a perfect Thread.. thanks. I just bought the Atlantic British wiring harness that will deliver today for a 2012 LR4 HSE, with an aftermarket E-Trailer towing hitch. The installation video on their website makes it seem pretty easy, but sounds like it can be tricky from this thread.

Correct me if I am wrong. I can hook up the harness to my trailer that has 4 pins, but the trailer doesn't have any breaks.. (Single Axle pulling a small 20ft Key West Boat, trailer is about 25 ft) After hooking up the lights etc will all work and not cause any issues. However, if I want to enable the Towing features I need a dealer or independent mechanic to change my software. Sounds like that is about $75? or so, but sometimes the Dealer isn't experienced with it. I only have the backup camera.. not side Cameras s this software update will give the following options; Towing Sway control, it will turn off the Parking sounds while I am towing/backing up, it will turn on the directional guidance on the backup camera.

Does that about sum it up? Or would I have to have the HSE Lux package for these options?

I can only address a couple of your questions. I have towed with a 2011 and a 2013 (both HSE trim level) and neither required any software flash to provide basic towing features, most notably towing sway control. This is built in. I never missed the backup alignment assist feature.

Re lights, some people have had issues with LED trailer lights. The hack to fix it is pretty straightforward and you should be able to find it easily in a previous discussion(s).

Justin Barden

Reaction score
Stupidly I should have checked this before I bought the kit. However after taking off the light and hitch cover I found that the factory wiring already existed. However when I plug in a trailer nothing happens.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupidly I should have checked this before I bought the kit. However after taking off the light and hitch cover I found that the factory wiring already existed. However when I plug in a trailer nothing happens.

I bought a $6 trailer light tester dongle as part of the install prep. That way you don't need the hassle of backing up to and connecting to a trailer to test your connections, blinkers, etc.

Do you get any current when you use a circuit tester on the existing wiring? Is everything connected properly inside the vehicle (the panel inside the cargo area)? Does the trailer have LEDs?

Assuming you get it all sorted out with the existing wiring, you should be able to easily sell the new kit for only a minor discount. That's how I got my current kit from a local LR4 owner.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I would be curious to hear from people who have installed the much more expensive OEM kit. I wonder if the QA on that item is different than AB's.
AB used to have both harnesses listed (theirs and the OEM). It's a relatively cheap part, by landrover standards. For my 2013 I think the price was very close. Currently they only have theirs listed at $130. Roverland has the OEM part for $119 with free shipping. I don't get that... it seems the AB one also comes with 4 zip ties and some foam tape.The OEM one gives you an install manual and the LR logo on the plug cover.

This has been on my todo list for a while and I was planning on just getting the AB part. Having read this thread, though, I just bought the OEM version. If it saves me some time and frustration... it will be worth it. If it doesn't, well, still cheaper than having the dealer do it.

dc_v01

Reaction score
I can only address a couple of your questions. I have towed with a 2011 and a 2013 (both HSE trim level) and neither required any software flash to provide basic towing features, most notably towing sway control. This is built in. I never missed the backup alignment assist feature.
You can certainly basically tow as I said, but towing sway control (I believe LR calls it TSA, trailer stability assist) is certainly not a basic feature, but a very advanced one. It was most definitely NOT enabled according to the IIDTool by default, which I believe had a dealer installed hitch. I don't know how you could tell if it is enabled besides the IIDTool unless you get into some really unpleasant situations.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM one gives you an install manual and the LR logo on the plug cover.

At the time I got mine the price difference was $20 or $30 if memory serves. Enough to make me lean to the AB product based on its solid reviews. But if you found OEM for that price I'd do that all day long.

Even though this install takes a bit of fiddling around, I think you'll find it to be enjoyable and satisfying as DIY mods go.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can certainly basically tow as I said, but towing sway control (I believe LR calls it TSA, trailer stability assist) is certainly not a basic feature, but a very advanced one. It was most definitely NOT enabled according to the IIDTool by default, which I believe had a dealer installed hitch. I don't know how you could tell if it is enabled besides the IIDTool unless you get into some really unpleasant situations.

I was going by a comment in another thread that was specifically about the TSA feature:

https://www.landroverworld.org/posts/179209/

Look at the LR video above this comment in that thread. It says that TSA is automatic and doesn't even require the trailer electronics to be connected. That doesn't prove that it is factory enabled on every LR4, but I took it to be strongly implied that it was. It seems like it has been difficult to get a definitive answer on this, so you may be right that it has to be enabled.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AB used to have both harnesses listed (theirs and the OEM). It's a relatively cheap part, by landrover standards. For my 2013 I think the price was very close. Currently they only have theirs listed at $130. Roverland has the OEM part for $119 with free shipping. I don't get that... it seems the AB one also comes with 4 zip ties and some foam tape.The OEM one gives you an install manual and the LR logo on the plug cover.

This has been on my todo list for a while and I was planning on just getting the AB part. Having read this thread, though, I just bought the OEM version. If it saves me some time and frustration... it will be worth it. If it doesn't, well, still cheaper than having the dealer do it.
Well, update on this order.

I did indeed order that RoverLand part. It arrived and was sitting in my garage boxed up. I opened it up to install last week and found that it was a pretty beat up looking USED part. I did not see "used" noted anywhere in the listing, but do realize now that roverland markets itself as a seller of quality used parts. I missed that in my google search...

Anyway, the good news is they will take back the used part and can order me a new OEM part for $100 more. So, I guess I'm then at $219 for the OEM harness. (plus my return shipping on the old part I won't factor in). In any case, lesson learned. Still happy to have the OEM part if it arrives as expected.

(and when I say "beat up" it's as beat up as you would expect any part to be when pulled off a truck. it may function, but the connectors were dirty and the cap wouldn't close. I just figured if I'm going to go through the effort to install it, I may as well get a part I'm confident with.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM