Trailer Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
I believe I just discovered the LR4 (2013) does not come with wiring for a trailer. While shopping for a hitch, that I knew was not standard issue with the vehicle, I was checking out the hookup and it appears there is no wiring for a hookup, 4 or 7 pin.

Am I wrong? Am I missing the most well hidden plug yet?

Thanks.

JWA33

Reaction score
No, you have to install it. There's a kit from Land Rover, or Atlantic British makes a kit that uses the same connectors for about half price.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a little ridiculous, too. Hell, my old Cayenne GTS came with one as standard.
34d186358035b782c6c0364556ee5054.jpg

No worries, though. The harness install is straight forward, and Atlantic British provides very thorough instructions. I definitely recommend theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Atlantic British kit is easy to install. Just be careful not to damage the paint when removing the taillight cover. Use a plastic putty knife to pry it off, not a screwdriver. Also, it takes a few tries to get the plug through the opening in the bumper but eventually you will get it.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ClearwaterScott Many thanks!

As for removing the taillight, I recommend prying it from the inside (near the seal), then stick your fingers in and wiggle it until the little grommets come undone as you're pulling it off. Don’t pull too hard, otherwise it’ll likely fling off, and the sharp corners of the taillight could definitely scratch your paint. Then, carefully unplug the taillight harness as you securely hold that taillight, as opposed to letting it dangle (scratches).

I’m sure you’ve already seen this, but here it is anyway:

The _Just

Reaction score
I'm in the same situation. After closer inspection, even though I have a hitch, I don't think I have a wiring harness for the 7pin. Thanks for the great info. Yet another weekend project! Next up will be the brake controller.

Anyone install a brake controller in the LR4?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover's under dash connector for a brake controller is a Ford connector. Also check your trailer connector to make sure the Land Rover 7-pin is the same as whatever you plan on towing. And don't expect to charge a battery from the LR3/4 as wire gauge is really too small for that task.

tiedflies

Reaction score
You best bet is to run a new wire for charging. I used the Prodigy radio frequency brake controller. That way I can tow with any vehicle with a seven pin connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV