Transmission concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late update, yes got everything finished. Static filled 3 quarts then 2 more after cycling through the gears. Drove it around my neighborhood and it shifts like brand new! I got nervous it wasn’t downshifting but everything is perfect, it’s just so smooth you can’t feel it. Rechecking the level this morning because I really feel like it should have taken more fluid but it was too hot to check after the drive last night.no faults or check engine lights.
Good deal. I found mine took about a quart more after cool off. My transmission was open for about a week while I waited on parts so a ton more drained out. (I got about 9 quarts out and I think it holds 11ish). I put back in 8ish and then topped off at just under 9.

Krill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah put one more full qt in this morning. Headed to get it detailed then will check it again after it cools...those Catalytic converters get hot! The burn blister on my arm is proof lol

Krill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And as for getting that sleeve in, what finally did the trick was cutting a piece of 2x2 into a 1” tall square that fit ontop of the sleeve and putting a pry bar on the center of that and using the frame rail as a fulcrum. That way you can put some force on it without the fear of cracking or messing up the edges of the sleeve. Once I did that, the white tab clipped right in with minimal force

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah put one more full qt in this morning. Headed to get it detailed then will check it again after it cools...those Catalytic converters get hot! The burn blister on my arm is proof lol

Oh yeah, want to wear long sleeves on that part for sure!!! Sorry didn’t warn you.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It did not. I did not replace the foam strip. Mine was in good shape. The first versions of the zf transmission did not have these. My understanding is the foam keeps particles out that circulate in the fluid. Not certain it’s a critical part.

I also did use the Mercron SP fluid which is compatible according to ZF. It is red in color but chemically consistent. I believe there are anti-shudder properties (like Lubegard instant shudder fix) which gives it its red color. If you look on several of the bmw forums and other conversations about fluid, Mercron SP checks out. It was $90 for 12 quarts...so there’s that and didn’t have to take out a second mortgage to buy fluid -Lifeguard 6. I also found this link for fluid which also seems to be a compatible fluid, but didn’t do much research on it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282910028278

Mercron SP is working great and all is shifting as it should. Very little concern with compatibility, but thought it worth a mention. I’ll probably swap the fluid more often (every 30k) due to affordability of Mercron.

So, update...although Mercron SP is technically compatible with zf transmissions, after about 1000 miles, the trans was holding gear longer than I’d like and had a harsher 2-1 kick occasionally. Not sure the clutch packs were fond of my decision. Drained 5+ quarts of Mercron SP and refilled with Pentosin 1 for zf transmissions. In another couple hundred miles will drain and fill again. Transmission running well and shudder has been eliminated, but I’m going back to oe spec fluid. After 5 new quarts, shift is normal and no kick from 2-1.

Was worth a shot, but if you have a higher mileage transmission, best stick with OE.

I don’t regret the decision, but I thought I’d share so you can learn from my experience. FYI, 5 quarts of pentosin on amazon is about $80. $22 a quart a local auto parts store...

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm digging up a dinosaur thread to add two cents to the hive mind:
Wife's 2013 LR4 @100k was having intermittent transmission issues that consisted of an odd clunk here and there on upshift entering the highway after lifting the throttle, plus rpm fluctuations between 30 and 50mph, and a small hesitation starting out in first.
I never advocate "fix all additives" but the indy shop was weeks out for an appt and I did a ton of research and I added some LubeGard and everything went away. It seems like a good patch for a situation where you are in a pinch and know you are going to change the fluid anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi