Transmission Pain!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAPb4theSNAP

Reaction score
I think my trans is toast!!!!! Please tell me it could be something easy, cheap and simple!! So heres what happened: Went off roading 2 nights ago and got real muddy and wet, I drove about 20 mins home and the disco drove just fine. Then yesterday went out to my car, started it up and drove down to the stop sign at the end of my street, it ran fine! I stopped at the stop sign and went to accellerate and it just revved up, So I checked to make sure it was in drive and it was, I went through all of the gears (R,N,D,3,2,1) and it still just revved! Now my car wont go in any direction..... it also doesnt make any noises or clicking when I select through the gears, its just like im in neutral!!!! HELP ME OUT!! I cant afford a new trans right now!

roncmp

Reaction score
Transmission

Hi sir something happen when I have a Bmw 328i, and I was very low of tranny fluid, make sure your fluid is in the correct level, go down open the refill bolt with an Allen and refill it with fluid, you will need to buy a mini pump.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Mileage, D1 or D2?

Agree with checking fluid level... check to make sure the Transfer case isn't in neutral. I know sounds crazy, but it could happen.

roncmp

Reaction score
tranny problem

In the worst of the cases try to find one in ebay, I get one for $250, imagine, and I got a tranny place that loaded it for $350, it is better to pay a new one

TAPb4theSNAP

Reaction score
Just ran out and checked the fluid level.... It seems way to full for some reason! I cant get a good reading on it, maybe im checking it wrong, but there is fluid in there. I have tried the transfer case in both High and Low and still nothing. Would a transmission just go out like that? It feels as if maybe the trans isnt going into those gears, just flooting in neutral!

roncmp

Reaction score
tranny

With your engine runnig(parking position) try to heat it first, maybe 30 -45min, so tranny fluid can get the adecuate viscosity, take out the tap refill it with the pump, and check until drains a little bit, and then try, good luck

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check to make sure the linkage is moving for the transmission as well... it may feel like it in the cab, but it may not be moving.

Otherwise, it doesn't sound good.

TAPb4theSNAP

Reaction score
Can you guys tell me how to check the linkage for the trans. do I need to remove all of that junk around the gear selector or do I need to be under the Disco? Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Under the disco should work IIRC, you should be able to feel the linkage or see it move when someone shifts thing (just make sure they have their foot on the brake)

tonysheeba

Reaction score
did u hear any clicking noise while putting to P while direct from D range .may be some drive shaft diconnected

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer