Transmission swap

Should I or shouldn’t I

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to get this thread totally off the rails, but my options as I see them right now are:

1. Hope for the best with the new Defender.

2. Ride my LR4 till the wheels fall off.

3. G-Wagon

4. Just buy an old Defender. Probably not a NAS, but the 300 tdi versions have gotten old enough to be imported under the 25-year rule. One good thing about the NAS versions, though, is that they've generally been taken care of pretty damn well, to the point where there's not a real shortage of pristine examples if you are willing to pay.

We looked at the G-Wagon as a replacement. No 3rd row seat and the person(s) who designed the instrument panel should be beaten silly. As I mentioned on another thread, we ending up buying an extended service plan giving us another 5 years with our LR4. Wife's happy and don't have to stuff three kids in the same row on a g wagon.

If the Defender ends up with a viable (not like RR sport) 3rd row, we'll consider that after a few years of shake down JLR will need to kinda get it right (let's face it, they are not exactly known for quality).

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the question at hand...anyone have experience with transmission swap in one of these? I surely can’t be the first

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm so far down the LR4 rabbit hole now that she could beat me badly enough to be charged with spousal abuse and I would come crawling back...

I flat out don't want to start over with a new truck given all the mods I have done to the 4.

I'm 47. If I end up buying a spare engine, I guess I will plan to die with her.

Yeah, I'm at the point where my LR4 has been great for what I've done with it (trails around Ouray, Colorado) in mostly stock trim, but I'm itching for 18" wheels, roof rack, etc. So I'm trying to decide whether to put a bunch of money into things on the LR4 or wait to see if I won't be wanting to trade it in on the new Defender.

Thankfully, the weather is getting warmer and I've got my mountain bike to spend like an idiot on right now.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the question at hand...anyone have experience with transmission swap in one of these? I surely can’t be the first

I feel like I consume as much information on the LR4 as I can reasonably fit into a day sitting at my work desk and not working, and I've never seen mention of one done before. Depending on your relationship with your dealer, you could call and ask their opinion on the job? I see my service guys at least once a year at my dealership's off-road event, so I know they'd shoot me strait if I asked them there.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I consume as much information on the LR4 as I can reasonably fit into a day sitting at my work desk and not working, and I've never seen mention of one done before. Depending on your relationship with your dealer, you could call and ask their opinion on the job? I see my service guys at least once a year at my dealership's off-road event, so I know they'd shoot me strait if I asked them there.

Thanks bud. I’ve watched a LR3 done on YouTube. Can’t be all that different. I think the biggest thing is the exhaust. Transmission is identical to later LR3’s.

If I do it, I’ll document and share the video. Might get hairy on my garage floor, but here’s to the challenge.

Waiting to hear from my independent what he’ll charge for the job.

If anyone has done one and is on here, sure would welcome the input.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bud. I’ve watched a LR3 done on YouTube. Can’t be all that different. I think the biggest thing is the exhaust. Transmission is identical to later LR3’s.

If I do it, I’ll document and share the video. Might get hairy on my garage floor, but here’s to the challenge.

Waiting to hear from my independent what he’ll charge for the job.

If anyone has done one and is on here, sure would welcome the input.

Here is what I recommend. This is access to Mitchell 1 Pro demand repair manuals. They have all the info you need. Mitchell 1 is a Snap On owned company and they are the largest indy repair shop management system out there. Their repair manuals use to the the old Mitchell Repair manuals. Of course they are online now.

I used this DIY when I had my porsche and it was great.

https://www.eautorepair.net/Marketing/Default.asp

Good luck.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I recommend. This is access to Mitchell 1 Pro demand repair manuals. They have all the info you need. Mitchell 1 is a Snap On owned company and they are the largest indy repair shop management system out there. Their repair manuals use to the the old Mitchell Repair manuals. Of course they are online now.

I used this DIY when I had my porsche and it was great.

https://www.eautorepair.net/Marketing/Default.asp

Good luck.
Very helpful. Thanks!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FWIW, I saw an LR3 at the dealership with the body in one service bay and engine/transmission/frame/suspension in another bay. Said they were installing a new transmission. They took the approach of lifting the body off the frame to get at the transmission. Maybe an option if you have access to hydraulic lifts and know where the wiring harness disconnects are located.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I saw an LR3 at the dealership with the body in one service bay and engine/transmission/frame/suspension in another bay. Said they were installing a new transmission. They took the approach of lifting the body off the frame to get at the transmission. Maybe an option if you have access to hydraulic lifts and know where the wiring harness disconnects are located.

I don’t have any of that. Planning to go in from underneath. Transmission should arrive later this week. Will do a video and post up here when done

I did find a workshop manual and seems very straightforward (famous last words). Biggest thing I need is Transmission Jack and a bunch of ratchet extensions and elbows to get in tight spaces.

Planning my attack.

Biggest fear is not being able to line up torque converter to flywheel and get that first bolt back in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV