Transmission swap

Should I or shouldn’t I

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want to see how high off the ground you have to raise the LR4 to clear the trans. I figure the bell housing is quite tall. I have seen others do this body off, which from what I gather with a lift isn't a big deal to do.

Scott, if you need to bounce anything off someone feel free to text/call me. On a side note (scott gave me tips on the trans pan swap).. changing the trans fluid made a huge difference in smoothness on my 2013 with ~70k miles. I highly recommend the job. Not that hard, just a little messy.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Will definitely be checking in on this.

Be careful. A transmission or an LR4 falling on you will ruin your day.

Yes, sir, it will...hopefully neither happen. I’ve got a buddy to help and a transmission jack. I’ll document my setup and everyone can learn from my mistakes (hopefully I don’t make any).

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want to see how high off the ground you have to raise the LR4 to clear the trans. I figure the bell housing is quite tall. I have seen others do this body off, which from what I gather with a lift isn't a big deal to do.

Scott, if you need to bounce anything off someone feel free to text/call me. On a side note (scott gave me tips on the trans pan swap).. changing the trans fluid made a huge difference in smoothness on my 2013 with ~70k miles. I highly recommend the job. Not that hard, just a little messy.

Will be able to gauge height with replacement trans prior to disassembly. I’m thinking I’ll have plenty of space

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would almost consider fabbing something up from wood blocks or railroad ties rather than jacking it off the ground.

At least assuming the wheels don't come off for the swap, which I assume they would not.

Too damn many decent guys killed by cars falling on them in their driveways.

If you are willing to crack open the old unit before you send it out for rebuilding, I would be very interested to see some detailed pics of the condition of the various parts.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would almost consider fabbing something up from wood blocks or railroad ties rather than jacking it off the ground.

At least assuming the wheels don't come off for the swap, which I assume they would not.

Too damn many decent guys killed by cars falling on them in their driveways.

If you are willing to crack open the old unit before you send it out for rebuilding, I would be very interested to see some detailed pics of the condition of the various parts.

I’ll be safe, promise. No wheels off so risk of car crushing me are minimal. Plan to have back up support also, in case of jack stand failure. Plan to also fully support trans at all times and never be under it.

Huy Tran

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had contemplated doing the transmission swap myself but ended up having a shop do it. $3,000 to rebuild the trany with torque converter and $1,000 in labor. You really need a lift or a at least a high ramps to this job. The transmission will need to be angled downward slightly to access all the engine bolts (use extra long extensions too). That angle coupled with the jack and transmission itself will require lots of space underneath.
I just rebuilt my front dif and that was a PITA to lift and position into place with a jack while on your back. There's just no leverage.
While you're there, I think it'll be good to change the engine rear main seal.
Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had contemplated doing the transmission swap myself but ended up having a shop do it. $3,000 to rebuild the trany with torque converter and $1,000 in labor. You really need a lift or a at least a high ramps to this job. The transmission will need to be angled downward slightly to access all the engine bolts (use extra long extensions too). That angle coupled with the jack and transmission itself will require lots of space underneath.
I just rebuilt my front dif and that was a PITA to lift and position into place with a jack while on your back. There's just no leverage.
While you're there, I think it'll be good to change the engine rear main seal.
Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Found a transmission for $600 with 63k on it and my independent says he’ll put it in for $1000. Tempted, but I like the challenge so I’m going for it.

Planning to put it up on ramps for rear tires and large jack stands in the front (with additional supports under tires and a second set of smaller jack stands for safety). I’m thinking I can get enough height to get the old trans out and the new one in. There was a delay in shipping so the trans now arrives tomorrow.

I’m not going to start tear down until I have the transmission and transmission jack set up, so I can check clearances and make sure I can access everything. I have a ton of extensions and having watched YouTube of an LR3 teardown, access to everything doesn’t look terrible.

I may chicken out. No judgment please if I do ;-)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for $1k I'd probably chicken out myself.. if I could really trust that it was going to get done right.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for $1k I'd probably chicken out myself.. if I could really trust that it was going to get done right.

Yeah, it’s right there on the line for me. For me though, interested in learning. I’ve got two boys, and because the LR addiction is somewhat hereditary I’m guessing the added skill may come in handy.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi