transmission? transfer case? what's the issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrischris70

Reaction score
01 Disco 2 4.0: More or less messed up my transmission today. Well, more; just not quite sure what in it is messed up. Ill provide the story as to how I messed it up ( just to help with an idea) then provide the symptoms. I have an RV, a 30 foot rv which was loaded down (weighing probably 15k lbs) and stuck. I had no choice to use my rover to snach it from its hole. After about 8 (hard) snatches I freed it up. Here's the fun part. After the snatches and after id unhooked my truck, it had a funny noise. The sound is like a whiring sound when in neutral/park, but when in gear with my foot on the break is feels kind of like gears slightly rubbing together, as in the teeth just barely touching at a very low rpm. The truck is still driveable but has me very nervous, as I don't have very much experience with transmissions. I am very mechanically capable so this isnt a huge issue, though I may not know each term. If I do not know something I will figure out what it is. I feel like I may have of stripped something on the inside or broken something loose. I plan on soon checking/changing the fluid soon, but haven't had a chance as this all happened two hours ago.

Edit: transmission was in 4low when I yanked, yet it is still prevalent in 4high. It leads me to thing something to do with the torque converter, or where the transmission connects to the t case

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would drain the fluid in the transfer case and check for metal, then refill as needed... I would also have someone look into the Transmission.

Have you ever replaced the front driveshaft or Ujoints on the front driveshaft?

Chrischris70

Reaction score
I personally haven't, but I've only had the truck for about 6k miles.

Update: the truck isn't doing it anymore, it sat for a while, then when I test drove it, it was fine

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM