Transmisson Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark

Reaction score
I read somewhere that a transmission should not have any power to move a vehicle when the brake pedal is released.

In other words, while the foot is on the brake, the Rover is still wanting to move forward. One day, from a dead start, in Drive, I released the brake pedal and managed to drive as fast as 10 miles per hour over a mile, before I reached the highway.

Does this tendency to move the vehicle forward account for some of the low gas mileage.

Is a transmission supposed to have a forward motion when the brake is not depressed?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the transmission should have some forward motion even with the brake pressed. Mostly the reason for low fuel economy is a 4600lbs vehicle that is built like a brick on wheels and a small 4.0 liter engine that puts out less than 200 hp.

Mark

Reaction score
Would it be helpful to put transmission in neutral at a stop? Or not worry about any of this...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Either way the engine is running and burning fuel... not sure if it would do any good. I have read about people trying this and several other things in the name of fuel economy. Personally I Love my rover, but if I want comfort for long distance and fuel economy I drive my Jaguar... if I want real fuel economy I would by a motorcycle again.

matts98disco

Reaction score
First
Putting your rover in neutral does no good. As a matter of fact, the ecu will start sending fuel in idle mode...
Second
an automatic transmission has a torque converter, no clutch. Think of a manual transmission. With a clutch, you can let up to the engagement point in the clutch and make the vehicle move. Essentially that is what your torque converter does. Hell if you've ever driven a car with a stall speed race converter, if you're not careful they will pull right thru the brakes at a stoplight!
By the way I see in your signature that you have bilstien shocks. Did you do the performance shock upgrade? If so how do they perform? Not trying to get off track, im just getting ready to buy some and was interested in some feedback.

Last edited:

Mark

Reaction score
Don't get my question messed up with TRYing to save gas. I am curious as to the impact an automatic transmission has on gas mileage with regards to the forward ******.

Mark

Reaction score
First
Putting your rover in neutral does no good. As a matter of fact, the ecu will start sending fuel in idle mode...
Second
an automatic transmission has a torque converter, no clutch. Think of a manual transmission. With a clutch, you can let up to the engagement point in the clutch and make the vehicle move. Essentially that is what your torque converter does. Hell if you've ever driven a car with a stall speed race converter, if you're not careful they will pull right thru the brakes at a stoplight!
By the way I see in your signature that you have bilstien shocks. Did you do the performance shock upgrade? If so how do they perform? Not trying to get off track, im just getting ready to buy some and was interested in some feedback.

I was apprehensive about putting Bilsteins on the Rover, afraid of whether it would be too stiff. But after I put them on, I was thoroughly pleased with my choice. Do it. Do not think about it.

rovermech

Reaction score
What is the engine idling at when cold and warm....if your hitting 10 mph it sounds like the idle may be a little high.

Mark

Reaction score
Cold: Approximately 1100-1200 RPM

Warm: Approximately 850 RPM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4