Uh oh,, LR3 suspension failed again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mwillems

My LR3's suspension just failed again... the dealer has it in for a few more days. Meanwhile I am driving the service manager's 2001 Range Rover - which in fact is a vastly inferior drive.

Michael

M

manxman4000

Hi Mike,

It looks like your having a few problems.

Do you regret getting it now?

How do you find the dealer helpful, or does it seem that it's too new for them and they don't know what to do.

I'm considering cancelling my order, might cost $500 but I think it may be worth it based on some of the problems people have been experiencing.

I'm thinking of ordering a Porsche Cayenne S instead, hoping I can get one off the lot.

M

mwillems

Hi Manxman,

Well, I don't regret it - yet. I am drivingthe dealer's service manager's personal Range Rover now and I must say this shows me again hoiw vastly superior the LR is to anything else out there.

Yes, it's very new for he dealer, but it's more Land Rover Canada/USA/UK that need to take this seriously.

If I were Land Rover I'd send engineers out immediately, plus I'd offer to replace the car immediately. One in 1000 will develop intermittent faults like this no doubt, and the manufacurer should take those out. I did not pay this amount of money to drive loaner cars and to spend mornings at the dealer's... unfortunately, this is not Land Rover's style.

I'll hang in there - and npo doubt it'll be fine.. but if it fails a third time then I will definitely fax the LR CEO again and ask for a replacement.

These things are not typical of course. I am sure they've sold dozens already and mine is the only one with problems. Doesn't help me, but I would feel quite confident if I were you: when it goes, it is a great car. From personal experience, better than the Benz I used to own and better than the Range Rover.

Michael

F

fbaer

My experiences w/ LR3

I thought I would chime in here about the LR3, my thought process about the purchase, and my experiences to date.

I picked up my Tonga Green HSE on 12/23, and to date I have put just over 1400 miles on it. This is not only my first Land Rover, but my first SUV too, having driven BMW 3 series since 1994. I drove many suv's, among them the Land Cruiser, the Cayenne S, the Lexus GX, the Mercedes ML500, and a Denali. I ended up purchasing the LR3 knowing full well that it was a very complex automobile, and that there may be some teething problems with it. The truck that came in a VERY close second was a used 2004 Cayenne S, that I actually could have purchased for about $7,000 less than my HSE. The Cayenne S had the Navigation system but did not have air suspension. I did a lot of research on line and talking to people that owned the Cayenne S, and I decided on the Landy. There are multiple recalls on the Cayenne S, and more Technical Service Bulletins. The tire wear is terrible and there are issues now with the transmission. The nav system is much easier to use on the LR3, and the stereo on the HSE, with the ipod input and MP3 capabilities just plain ROCKS.

I had 1 small glitch with the electrics on the Landy, when the Nav system, Radio, and Voice command stopped functioning. I turned the car on and off several times, and that didn't clear it, so I started to walk in to work. I heard the air suspension hiss, went back annd started it up and all of the systems were fine. Evidently the computer reset it self. I spoke to the dealership and logged the issue with them, and it has been fine ever since. The service manager said that on all issues w/ the LR3 the Land Rover people came in to look at it and repair itm as it is so new and they want to document issues.

I have not taken the truck on a long trip yet, mainly around town use, with a few longer drives on the weekend. It is very comfortable, offers great visibility, and was amazing in the big snowfall we got 2 weeks ago.

I also joined up with the Minnesota Land Rovers Club, and this past Saturday we had an Ice Event, setting up 2 different courses on a frozen lake. The LR3 was pretty amazing, and the members of the club that rode with me all remarked how impressed they were with the LR3.

Sorry about being verbose, but I would not hesitate at all to recommend the LR3, It is an amazing truck (car, suv, whatever... I still dont know what to call it)

If you want to see me make a fool of myself on the ice, click http://homepage.mac.com/fbaer/iMovieTheater2.html

M

mwillems

Excellent!

As I have said before too, teething problems are expected: as long as they are handled well by the LR organisation, all is fine and that is a small price to pay. My car is now being looked after well by the dealer and Land Rover Canada, so as long as I get it back fixed (and not with a "we could not find the fault"), all is well. Recent contact with Land Rover Canada makes me believe they will make it right.

My driving the service manager's Range Rover 2002 (4.6l HSE) has actually affirmed my choice by showing me how superior the Land Rover is. The Range is noisy, rough, feels heavy, rolls around corners: the Land Rover is soo much better. Can't wait to get it back!

B

biggie

i have taken my lr3 (2005) in a few times for "suspension fault". now, my back tires (after they have been rotated) are both worn out, COMPLETELY, on the inside.

the dealer (mike, at autohbahn, ft worth, tx) just told me that it is normal wear after 15K miles.

is anyone else having this type of problem with the LR3?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having just fixed a flat (5 degrees out :( ), I too noticed the insides of my rear tires worn quite badly. Already rotated them once, with 10,000 miles on them. Now, I KNOW these tires suck, but don't know if it might be the fault of the vehicle??

T

texas911

Just got a suspension fault. Tried rebooting but still shows up. I wonder if the extreme cold has anything to do with it. I got several cold temp chimes before i got the suspension chime. Hmmm. Will call dealer. Aslo will check for tire wear. Everytime I have had my car in for work, I complain about the alignment. But they can never fix is and they've scratched my wheels everytime. I just gave up and live with it. The last time my steering wheel came back crooked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9