Uncommanded seat movement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

cpp

While driving home last night, my wife had an unnerving situation in our '05 HSE7. Just a mile or so from home, so after 30-45 minutes of driving, the driver's seat started moving back away from the wheel. At 5'4", it didn't take long for her to be pretty unhappy with the whole thing. Her first thought was that her coat had somehow hit my memory button (I'm 6'3", so seat is all the way back for me). She moved the seat fwd again, but it continued randomly moving forward and back for the remainder of the trip home, including backing into the garage. I took it back out after 30 minutes or so, and couldn't make it do anything unusual - just drove as is at first, then tried different memory positions and manual adjustment, but everything seemed fine. I also drove it to work this morning with no problems. We can't completely rule out the possibility that the initial movement was caused by her coat, but after pulling her coat away from the door, the subsequent random movement has no explanation I can think of. I'll mention it to the dealer next time it's in, but I don't have high hopes given the lack of repeatability, unless anyone here can shed some light - any similar experiences?

Thanks,
Cliff

H

Houm_WA

No, but my electronics do wierd things, too...like they get "tricked" or something. Specifically, sometimes my rear wiper comes on WITH my front wipers (with them on rain-sensing mode). I can't explain this, but it only started happening after the software "upgrade" I recently received. Not a big deal, just unnerving.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear will come on with the front if you are in reverse.

H

Houm_WA

That's good to know, but they are DEFINITELY coming on while in a forward gear as well.

X

xcursion

Never heard of the seats moving by itself before. Hard to believe that the coat was the cause. Should be a electrical glitch somewhere. Do ask the dealer to do a very comprehensive check since this is very dangerous fault. If all else fails, I would set all 3 memmory setting to your wife's position, just in case if it went nuts again, there is a better chance it would remain in the same position (I hope) while she is driving.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99