Unwelcome Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obsteve

Reaction score
After a fantastic round trip through the Rockies last season I've been experiencing unusual, unexpected and unwelcome intervention of the DSC or Dynamic Stability Control when I navigate sweeping turns. The phenomenon manifests itself by activating the brakes (loud grumbling) and generally upsetting the cars balance (the opposite of what I would expect it to do). It does this in the wet as well as dry and is most obvious on sweeping interstate exchanges. The only time I have previously seen the DSC engage was on the way to Colorado when cornering graded dirt roads at speed.
I've checked the easy things - tire pressure, ride height, tire condition (all new-ish), bearing and joint health, and even replaced the air struts and had the car four wheel aligned - the condition persists.
Any thoughts on where to check next?

Trynian

Reaction score
Mine does that once in a while usually after an off-road trip but goes away the next day.

I would suspect a wheel speed sensor or dynamic sensor may be acting up.

Does it do it in one direction predominately?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...now that I think about it, my answer on the other board was slightly askew. I said that a wheel speed sensor would cause some faults; that's actually true for sure of the wheel ANGLE sensor. I'm not sure about the wheel speed sensor.

obsteve

Reaction score
I've posted the question to another LR forum and the consensus seems to be as you described - a steering angle sensor. It seems that a collar portion of a sensor that attaches to the steering shaft located near the pedals gets shifted off center and needs to be re-aligned and secured, then re-calibrated.
Thanks for the reply

Here's the link
http://www.**************/forum/topic138700.html?highlight=Steering+angle+sensor

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...bunch of stupid asterisks that prevent me from seeing which forum you're on. I'm guessing it's the Disco3 forum in the UK. I think you're going to be disappointed. I'd have to read the post to see if you gave a better description of the problem, but like I said a steering angle sensor failure comes with faults. You didn't mention any fault indications.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV