Update for the Owners of this Beautiful Truck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took a 900 mile journey with my beast. Hit speeds of 110mph and was keenly looking at any suspension changes. NONE. I will say once again, it reminded me of how smooth this things drives! I love the drive and did not feel overly tired after doing the trip either. Spent alot of money on gas but it is worth it. The power with passing people is out of this world!

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the dreaded "Brake Pad Worn" alert came on last night. Just forked up $277 to the dealer for the front pads and sensor. This is just for the parts, going to a local shop to have them installed to avoid even more extra fees. 2nd time changing the front pads within 24k miles/22 months.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the dreaded "Brake Pad Worn" alert came on last night. Just forked up $277 to the dealer for the front pads and sensor. This is just for the parts, going to a local shop to have them installed to avoid even more extra fees. 2nd time changing the front pads within 24k miles/22 months.
Sorry to hear that lexman34! I have 6,300 miles on mine and just waiting for something like that to happen. I just got the Service Required light flash at start-up, but the dealer said I can wait until January 2012 (11 months into ownership).

So, you are having a non-LR shop install the pads and sensor? That's a great idea as I know a couple mechanics and (when the time comes) I should just have them do mine down the line.

Did you have your first brake pad job done there?

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that lexman34! I have 6,300 miles on mine and just waiting for something like that to happen. I just got the Service Required light flash at start-up, but the dealer said I can wait until January 2012 (11 months into ownership).

So, you are having a non-LR shop install the pads and sensor? That's a great idea as I know a couple mechanics and (when the time comes) I should just have them do mine down the line.

Did you have your first brake pad job done there?

Yes...i had it done at a local shop that saved me close to $100 in labor. However be careful, there are only a handful of legitimate LR shops in my area of NY outside of the dealership. I did plenty of research on this shop and i had them service my front and rear on my first job and the job was good. One more thing to note..i ordered the front pads and sensors from the dealer and when my guy arrived they told him they were not in stock but on the truck. They offered to deliver them to me at no charge same day and took $80 off the parts to bring it down to $177.00. That was not a bad discount. I will definetely be holding on to that reciept for future purchases.

LR4Tank

Reaction score
I don't want to jinx anything but I have not had one issue yet...18k and bought it March of this year 2011. In fact, after reading about the "brake jobs" that everyone has been commenting on I asked my dealer how often they need to be changed or replaced, his response is that the average at his shop is 32-37k miles. I wonder if some dealers need to make up revenue but asking owners to do more services earlier and often?

As for mileage, everyone drives differently so we all will get varying MPG. I get 19 MPG average...and dont feel like I am driving it like an old man.

All in all, I love my vehicle and feel very safe in it. For the first time in my adult driving life...I stop other owners in passing (walking) and strike up conversation about the trucks.

BTW...135 mph seems a bit risky for you and all those around you...please slow down.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very happy to hear you are averaging 19 MPG. I know everyone will have different real world evaluations. That is very good to know that not everyone is having these short brake life span's as well.

I appreciate the warning of driving so fast. I would never drive that fast on a public highway. I can get access to an abandoned air strip and man..it is alot of fun!! :))))

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30K Inspection

Ok, just left the dealership with a nice $1,376.00 bill. I guess it is what it is. They charged me $700 for the inspection which included the oil change and i needed 2 front tires for another $700. Happy to report that the Rotors are still original. Side notes is that the middle console which house the refrigerator, the top latch which is made out of plastic snapped. I asked how much it would cost to replace it and they said $365. I guess i can do without it actually snapping in place for that type of money. It closes but it does not "click" in place.

My backup camera had been acting up and they replaced that with no hesitation.

Nothing else to report. I am still a satisfied owner after 27 months and 30k miles. So far in those 27 months, the vehicle has cost me $11,865.07 to run it which includes gas and any repairs/maintenance.

I am buying gas every 4.3 days and my avg price per gallon is $3.465. I am averaging 12.4 miles per gallons in NYC. I have had 2 full brake jobs completed.

As always i will keep posting on this timeline as things happen.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, just left the dealership with a nice $1,376.00 bill. I guess it is what it is. They charged me $700 for the inspection which included the oil change and i needed 2 front tires for another $700. Happy to report that the Rotors are still original. Side notes is that the middle console which house the refrigerator, the top latch which is made out of plastic snapped. I asked how much it would cost to replace it and they said $365. I guess i can do without it actually snapping in place for that type of money. It closes but it does not "click" in place.

My backup camera had been acting up and they replaced that with no hesitation.

Nothing else to report. I am still a satisfied owner after 27 months and 30k miles. So far in those 27 months, the vehicle has cost me $11,865.07 to run it which includes gas and any repairs/maintenance.

I am buying gas every 4.3 days and my avg price per gallon is $3.465. I am averaging 12.4 miles per gallons in NYC. I have had 2 full brake jobs completed.

As always i will keep posting on this timeline as things happen.
Wow! Thanks for the report!!

700 for oil change - nice! Could they do it for 800? :)

Top refrigerator latch - it is definitely warranty item, unless you tried to open it with pry bar or something... :)

Those full break jobs - did they have rotors replaced, or just pads?

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The $700 was for the 30K inspection which included the oil change. They might as well charged $800 as they come up with crazy figures out the sky it seems to me. The other $700 was for the 2 front wheels and balancing.

I agree with you about it being a warranty issue. I am going to push for it the next time i go back for certain. I was in a rush so i did not bother but next time i think a manager will be spoken to.

The full break jobs were just pads. Funny you said that because the very first time i had them checked (@11k) i was told that my rotors needed to be replaced which i flat out refused to do and look now...19K later and they are still just fine! Just proves they just try to get you to agree to whatever makes them money at times!!

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread...

First off, glad to hear that your LR4 survived two accidents with minimal damage! These cars truly are tanks!

We now have 24K on our LR4 which we purchased 9 months ago. I have my wife write down the amount of gas purchased and current mileage at the pump every time she fills up. The trip computer says we average 16.5mpg, but the calculation shows 11.9mpg. In short, the trip computer is dead wrong...

Regarding brakes, our pads are getting low in the front, but still have life. I'd wager that the 32-37k number is accurate. When it is finally time to replace the break pads, I will create a DIY on this forum and source the parts from Britich Atlantic or the dealer. About 10 years ago, dealers decided to play the game of "recommending" that customers replace both rotors and pads once the pads wear down. This is complete hogwash, and an opportunity for the dealer to make more margin on parts (rotors) and charge for the extra labor time (rotors tend to take longer to replace than pads on many cars). The visual test to see if your rotors need replacement is to look at the front face of the rotor and see how deep it recesses beneath the outside edge. You can always double-check with a micrometer, but most rotors can lose 2-3mm of thickness before needing replacement. On our LR3, we reached 90k in miles and NEVER replaced any of the rotors. They were getting close at 90k, but still had bite. Pad & rotor replacement is a DIY job (quite easily actually) and will save you a lot of money...

There is concern on this thread about driving Rovers at 135mph. The engine in our LR4 is a 5.0 liter performance engine taken from the Jaguar XF. It is a beast! (watch the Top Gear episode on the XF to see its capabilities). Additionally, the LR4 was designed to handle such speeds and has a very complex suspension system for both off-road prowess,and on-road handling. Will it win an autocross? Probably not - but it will make an awesome high-speed autobahn crusier! I travel to Europe and the Middel East, and have been "buzzed" on the autobahn by many Rovers above 120mph. And in Dubai, it seems that everyone owns a Range Rover/RR Sport/Disco IV/etc. - and they drive them like the stole them! Our trucks can handle those excessive speeds quite comfortably...

Awesome car. I plan to keep buying Rovers for a very long time...

-B ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635