Update for the Owners of this Beautiful Truck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i purchased my LR4 in Nov of 2010. One of the first off the line. Usually i am very concerned about purchasing the "first" line of a new model. My previous vehicle was a first line 2004 Pacifica and it was a failure in my opinion. Cosmetically wonderful but the mechanics of the vehicle failed after 3 years. When i saw the LR4 on the showroom floor, the look of this vehicle..it had a look of "yeah, try me, you won't regret it"...won me over! Well let me report what has happened in the 22 months since i have owned it.

1-22,0001 miles on it. Same tires. Same rotors. 1 full brake job and 1 rear brake job.

2- I have yet to have an issue where i had to bring it in for service except for the standard "i am going to rob you" $700 service fee twice a year.

3-2 oil changes. (1st @7,500, 2nd @18,000) Manual stated every 15k so on my 2nd i decided to stretch it but when i took it in the dealer, he ammended the manual and said we ALL should change it every 6 months regardless. Maybe he just want me in there to find some other ways to make me pay for other service items?

4-Have had some glitches with the nav screen. It has gone blank a few times but i have mastered how to fix that. Shut the vehicle off and the computer reboots itselfs eventually. One time everything was not working..no radio..no nav and screen was black but again i shut the vehicle off and just waited for about 3 minutes and it reset.

5-Overall, averaging 11 MPH driving to and from work everyday in NYC. I have spent $6,968.92 on gas. Maximum avg was 18.1 MPG and my lowest was 7.8 MPG. (Yes i have one of those apps on my Iphone that tracks EVERYTHING i do with this vehicle. No, i am not one of those drivers that like to stay within the 30-60 mph range because it drives "nice". I am not trying to offend anyone but this beast have 8 cylinders. I use them..all of them when i can. I think i have gotten it up to 135 MPH. I have a picture of that as well. With that said on to the next topic. :biggrin:

I have had 2 accidents. One where I stupidly reached for something in the back seat while sitting behind someone and took my foot off the brake and slightly hit someone doing less than 10 MPH in the rear. My damage..less than $100 touch up paint..his damage...$2,000 rear bumper to his 2007 Caddy sedan. 2nd accident while I was sitting at a light a woman on the phone rear ended me going a min of 40MPG. She hit me dead center on the tow bar. My damage $1,200 to the rear bumper...her damage...$8,000. She was driving a brand new Nissan Juke. It was destroyed, her air bags deployed and she was taken away by ambulance while i got out of my vehicle and said WTH? The fire and police officer was AMAZED at the min damage to my truck. She turned it out to be ok .They asked me was it made out of steel? Yes, i do have pictures.

All in all i am still extremely excited and i love this truck. I love the power. I love the luxury. I love the handling and i love the look when it is all cleaned up when i am rolling down the street. It is Black on Black with tints all around the vehicle. The only time I plan to get rid of it is when RR comes out with the Hybrid version as the gas is my only issue so far but the way i drive it, may not change much anyway.

Maybe i have a good model? Throw out the theory of me driving it soft and gentle becaue i don't. I have 5 kids and i drive it EVERYDAY. Maybe everyrone is over stating the issues with this truck but i am one owner who is very satisfied.:biggrin:

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1-22,0001 miles on it. Same tires. Same rotors. 1 full brake job and 1 rear brake job.

Am I reading this correctly - That is, in 22K miles you've replaced the front pads once, and the rears twice?

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I reading this correctly - That is, in 22K miles you've replaced the front pads once, and the rears twice?

Yes that is correct. I had my first brake job (front and rear) done at 11k i think (i posted on the forum sometimes ago) and when i went in for service last month he told me i needed to get the rear done now. I questioned it as well to the service guy at the dealership. I asked him how in the hell could the rear go out before the front? Also i was told on this truck when you replace the brakes you are supposed to replace ALL at the same time because they wear evenly due to the weight. He replied that i was wrong. They wear out differently.

Also guys and girls...i made a mistake...I PURCHASED IT IN NOV. OF 2009. I own a 2010 LR4.

Last edited:

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that is correct. I had my first brake job (front and rear) done at 11k i think (i posted on the forum sometimes ago) and when i went in for service last month he told me i needed to get the rear done now. I questioned it as well to the service guy at the dealership. I asked him how in the hell could the rear go out before the front? Also i was told on this truck when you replace the brakes you are supposed to replace ALL at the same time because they wear evenly due to the weight. He replied that i was wrong. They wear out differently.

Also guys and girls...i made a mistake...I PURCHASED IT IN NOV. OF 2009. I own a 2010 LR4.

Here are some flics...

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,175
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 596
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 589

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too feel like I've been lucky as I've got 20k and no major issues. I did just replace my tires to Michelin lat tour hp and it reduced the body roll along with the road noisie and drive comfort is ridiculously way better.

Thanks for the update and the photos.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those pictures are amazing. Do you use the trailer hitch for anything? Was it affected at all?

Thanks,

Marty

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18 k + miles so far. No issues. Will see if my brakes need replacing at the next service 21000 k. Amazing how solid the LR is compared to Japanese cars. The sheet metal used in the LR is stronger and thicker. That is why the machine is so heavy along with the engine and all the other stuff they managed to cram in there. Extremely happy so far!

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too feel like I've been lucky as I've got 20k and no major issues. I did just replace my tires to Michelin lat tour hp and it reduced the body roll along with the road noisie and drive comfort is ridiculously way better.

Thanks for the update and the photos.

May i ask how much did you pay for those tires? I am shopping now for a new set of tires and i thinking of upgrading to something a little but more "smoother".

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those pictures are amazing. Do you use the trailer hitch for anything? Was it affected at all?

Thanks,

Marty

Believe it or not..the trailer hitch only had a scratch on it about an inch! I could not believe it. The trailer hitch cover was cracked and had to be replaced. When her vehicle hit me all i heard a was a loud BAM! I was sitting still and she hit me dead on. I sat in my drivers seat and wondered how many thousands of dollars in damage i was going to have...i was thinking the frame..bumpers..panels....backup sensors...etc. I was saying to myself my baby would never be the same again. I was in disbelief when i saw litterally nothing but scratches on my vehicle and the rubber board on top of the bumper had popped up and i popped it back in on the spot. I backed up to see if my backup sensors worked..nothing was damaged. I felt like i was in one of those crash dummy commericals.

It only proves that the weight and build of this vehicle is well made and it could go through a building. The police and firemen were all taking pictures, noone could believe the minimal damage i had and what happened to her vehicle. Really..you see the pictures..nothing serious at all. I felt sorry for her and her vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM