V6 starting Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sirius

Hi People,

Has anybody had or know of starting problems on the V6 cos this one is doing my ed in :argh:
When shes running its as sweet as a nut but theres a 1 in 10 chance it wont start. The engine cranks over but does not catch.(hot or cold)
Know a sales guy at Landrover and he got a mechanic to check it out, he found no stored faults and it never failed when there. he did install the latest version of software to the ECU. But it has failed a few times since.
I can come back to it 5-10 mins later and more often than not, but not always, it will start.
The mechanic did mention the possiblity of a faulty fuel pump but I'm not so sure and feel it may be somthing on the engine immobiliser side of things....but would the engine crank over then???

Any ideas anyone???

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that fuel pumps do not go out slowly. I thought that if it was a fuel pump, it would go out REAL fast and not start up again. Could be wrong on this....

C

Coors Light40 fan

Hope this helpls

Its more than likely not the fuel pump. I would check the positive cable at the starter, a ground on top of the trans, or simply the positive and negative cables on the battery. The fuel pumps are failing but mostly for sending unit problems. The tech should have done a fuel pressure test to eliminate the pump as well as a starting and charging test. I cant see how a new tune in the MS43 ECU would help and intermittent no start. Oh, before you check the starter connections, disconnect the neg. cable on the battery. You dont want sparks.

S

sirius

Thanks for the posts. The problem however still remains. I have gradually narrowed things down a bit (thanks to the problem getting worse) and found that there is no spark at the plugs when the fault occurs. I have checked all connections and deduced that there is no signal from the ECU wires to any of coils! Why the ECU does not record the reason is still a mystery and after further incidences it appears not to be a problem when the engine is stone cold.

E

Ebooters

Hi its the crank sensor or the cam sensor one of them is heat soaking i would change both cheers carl

R

RaptorUK

TD4 Also

Ebooters is correct, my TD4 displayed the same for around 4 months, tokk them age's to find it, eventually replaced the sensors mentioned

J

Jonnoe

Thanks to your posting I got my garage to change censor on the cam shaft. But, I have had endless problems (see my posting of 05/07/05)

Jonnoe

L

lindy33

hi, im having the same starting problems you were having, did you manage to get it sorted?

Z

ZWood15

I just took my hippo in to the dealer for a similar problem and the first thing they found was that my Battery had died. Its supposed to be an 85 month Inerstate, but gues it didnt last that long. The sad part is that my 3rd party warranty doesnt cover batteries :(

N

naaman

Me and my team are also having a similar problem with V6 engine. Its not starting at. Engine is cranking but still the vehicle is not starting. As posted earlier, no sparks are being produced in the spark plugs. We have changed the Crank sensor but havent changed the Camshaft sensor yet. But the camshaft sensor seems fine as its voltage varies when checked with a multimeter. T4 diagnostic isnt helping as it says "no fault code stored".

Can anyone help what should be our next step?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM