Very high idle, 2800 RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianTN

Reaction score
My wife and I have a 2014 LR4 with 82k miles. It is CPO and for the most part has been reliable. We've only had to replace the LCA bushings and the Eco battery died. My wife drove the LR twice today without issue. She went to drive somewhere else and upon starting the RPMs hit 2800 and stayed there. I do not see the engine light. Any idea? Here is a video clip. Note the hood is open giving the caution light.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fne6kfmdria1e3v/IMG_4317.MOV?dl=0

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try the good ole tap the accelerator trick to see if that dropped the RPMs? My first thought was that the ambient temp was low enough to get it to race a bit to warm up but the dash thermo says 63º.

I have never noticed this myself but maybe if the EAS compressor kicked on it caused higher RPMs for a bit longer than usual (same effect that running your AC can cause).

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that when I start and the engine idles at 1200 if I just momentarily put it into reverse and quickly out again the rpm drops to 600 whether or not the engine has warmed up.
Perhaps you could try quickly putting it in/out of gear and see if the rpm goes to normal.

BrianTN

Reaction score
Did you try the good ole tap the accelerator trick to see if that dropped the RPMs? My first thought was that the ambient temp was low enough to get it to race a bit to warm up but the dash thermo says 63º.

I have never noticed this myself but maybe if the EAS compressor kicked on it caused higher RPMs for a bit longer than usual (same effect that running your AC can cause).
I did not but will try when home. I could not find something simple like a loose vacuum hose. Makes me think one of the many sensors is going bad. We called the nearest dealer who couldn’t help and the dealer we purchased it from in TN said they have seen similar issues with LR4s. Sometimes the problem is a sensor and maybe covered under warranty and sometimes not. A local shop that works on foreign cars said they can look at it. Does the CPO warranty work at independent shops? Or is it dealer only?

As far as the temperature, it has been cold falling to the 30s. However she drove it twice before this when it was that cold without issue. It was parked in the garage and warmed up some then started to happen which is why I did not think it would be due to the ambient temp.

BrianTN

Reaction score
I’ve noticed that when I start and the engine idles at 1200 if I just momentarily put it into reverse and quickly out again the rpm drops to 600 whether or not the engine has warmed up.
Perhaps you could try quickly putting it in/out of gear and see if the rpm goes to normal.
I was concerned about shifting into drive or reverse with the RPMs that high. One of the local shops mentioned doing that but almost 3000 RPMs freaks me out some. Don’t want to add gearbox issues on top of this.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems very high. It is normal to idle fast for a minute or so to warm up the catalyst to reduce emissions but 2800 rpm is not normal.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was concerned about shifting into drive or reverse with the RPMs that high. One of the local shops mentioned doing that but almost 3000 RPMs freaks me out some. Don’t want to add gearbox issues on top of this.

I just quickly flick the shift knob - it doesn’t even engage. I think it sends some electrical signal.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound dumb, but make sure you don't have a mislaid floormat or something else that is pushing down on the accelerator pedal.

I would think that a bad sensor would throw a code, which should turn on your CEL light. You could try scanning for a code anyway if you have a code reader.

Regardless, the bad news is that the CPO warranty is only good at a LR dealer--any LR dealer, though, and not just the one you bought it at. The good news (I believe) is that it should also include a tow there.

BrianTN

Reaction score
This may sound dumb, but make sure you don't have a mislaid floormat or something else that is pushing down on the accelerator pedal.

I would think that a bad sensor would throw a code, which should turn on your CEL light. You could try scanning for a code anyway if you have a code reader.

Regardless, the bad news is that the CPO warranty is only good at a LR dealer--any LR dealer, though, and not just the one you bought it at. The good news (I believe) is that it should also include a tow there.
Thanks. I already looked for that. That was my thought with the engine light too. The tech at one of the dealers said it may not light up in the beginning of a failure. I do have a Scangauge and might as well try it when home from work.

I assumed other shops couldn’t use the CPO warranty. I forget, if another shop performs work on the vehicle, does that void the CPO warranty? I may take it to a local shop (drive if flicking the knob brings down the RPM, use AAA to tow if it doesn’t) to diagnose and then call the dealer 1 hour away if it would be covered. From past experience this dealer charges close to double what the dealer in TN charges so I really only want to take it there if it seems likely to be covered by warranty. I will have to eat a $150 diagnosis fee though.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having another shop work on it shouldn't void the CPO warranty unless they screw something up themselves, and even then it should only affect the warranty on that specific issue.

But the CPO warranty is valid at all Land Rover dealers and not just the one you bought it from. It's the same as the original factory warranty in that regard.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV