Want to buy a Disco for my daughter....help please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRO4

Reaction score
I currently own an 06 LR3 V8 and love it. My 16 year daughter has always wanted a Disco, and it's now time for her to get a vehicle. My concern is reliability, fuel economy, and high cost of ownership of an 98-02 Disco. That is offset by the rather low purchase prices of Disco's.

My question is which model year is best (not including '03, '04) and how many miles are too many? What should I be careful of, and what should give me peace of mind?

Any help would be appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
buy the newest lowest mileage model you can get. Personally I would go with the RR and get a 4.6 liter engine if you wanting better fuel economy. Remember the Rover is a very heavy vehicle and the more power you give it, the better it will run.

If you want better reliability with the least about of electrical issues... a 99 D1.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have reason for concern, this is an expensive vehicle to keep up, will she be paying for the up keep and gas or you?
The up side of it is, they are very safe no mater what year you buy.
I had 4 children and looking back, as much as I like Disco's, I wouldn't have started any of mine out in something they couldn't afford nor really use off road.
Just my thoughts.

Dick61

Reaction score
Couldn't you find her a Skoda or a Simca or maybe a Mercury Capri (the Australian built one based on the Mazda 323/Ford Laser platform), just to get her frustration/anger-management skills fully developed before graduating to a Disco?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax