Wanting To Paint Wheels Flat Black - Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gruthsc3

Reaction score
I googled a picture on this forum about some flat black tires. I have a black LR3 and I want to go ahead and try and remove my wheels and paint them flat black. What is the best way to remove the paint? I have seen sanding, but most recently found "Aircraft Remover" to look like it would take the paint off easier and make the entire ordeal quicker. Tips, Suggestions?

gruthsc3

Reaction score
Here is my LR3

photopy.jpg

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Live in North Carolina and what I am doing is getting mine powder coated flat black. I called around and was quoted 400 dollars for all four. I am getting ready to buy new tires and I already have johnson lift rods for it so I'm really looking foward to it here soon. Putting on Falken 285/65's in the next 30 days.

All in all the paint will chip, wear, crack and not stick as evenly as a nice powder coat that is durable and looks good! just my .02

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got mine powder coated flat black, 40 bucks a wheel. i did the sanding before hand so they didnt have to do the sandblasting portion which makes it more expensive.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blasted them first. primed and painted. holding up pretty good. used house of color hot rod flat black. we had some leftover.

IMAG01081.jpg

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powder or Paint

I googled a picture on this forum about some flat black tires. I have a black LR3 and I want to go ahead and try and remove my wheels and paint them flat black. What is the best way to remove the paint? I have seen sanding, but most recently found "Aircraft Remover" to look like it would take the paint off easier and make the entire ordeal quicker. Tips, Suggestions?

I had mine pwdr coated just b4 the new tires but IMO jus sand and prep the og silver then rattle can em with the best BLACK you can get and keep an extra can around> if you plan to really trail it,\\\ chances are you will scratch any pwdr coat to the metal anyways! Plus after you get Lifted with MTs on air down and crawling rocks and obstacles, that smile on ur face will more than make up for any little wheel scratch! Can always get a set of townies for the trips to starbux and/or to use while ur waiting for the pwdr coating mount and balance... just my thoughts. :cool:

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is true, i got mine powder coated but most of them are nice and scratched up at this point. i think good prep and paint is prolly the most practical method if you have the patience

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wcryer

this is true, i got mine powder coated but most of them are nice and scratched up at this point. i think good prep and paint is prolly the most practical method if you have the patience

I know this one guy locally who even tagged his rims with the tires still on and it looked sahhhweeet.... Def took some time and elbow grease but it saved him a chunk o dough! I myself didnt want it to look all hOMe grOWn but hindsight I'd save the ca$h cuz higher oil and gas prices translates to hella expensive cost to manufacture rubber for them nice MTs when you figure it all up. lol

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rattle can them. i had the wheels on my LR3 sandblasted and powdercoated. i spray painted my wife's D2s wheels. lots cheaper, easier to fix, and look just as good. my powdercoating is starting to take a few dings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635