Wanting To Paint Wheels Flat Black - Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xray132

Reaction score
I use this product

It's a step above just any old rattle can paint. Dupli-Color Wheel Coating. Satin Black is my choice but it comes in a couple of easy on the eye colors. Not as dull and rough as a flat black but not a high gloss. If you want a higher gloss look, use their clear coat over it. After your prep which determines your quality of finish (whether you sand, blast or chemical treat) clean your product with windex. Yes windex. Use their Adhesion Promotor, it is clear and it is your primer. I say within 15mins you can spray your color.(read directions)
Here's the best part.....
The color drys in minutes between coats. It's dry to the touch in 30 mins. You can handle your product in an 1 hour, not 24 like most paint. It's made to resist brake dust and chemicals... I used it on my swing away carrier (no clear coat) it matches the RS sliders. I like the satin it's easy on the eyes and eight bucks for a can. We did four Land Cruiser wheels for under $25. It makes a good touch up on your powder coated items, it's just a step up from paint.

Last edited:

drjwelch

Reaction score
I ended up painting mine Dupli-Color "GunMetal" a couple of days ago. I feel the color is just too light. I am NOT really happy with them. I actually liked them better when they were primered with the dark gray primer. It took about 3/4 of the day to do them but it was fun. I am going to redo them a darker color when I get back home next week.
Personally, the "Gunmetal" color just does not look that great with Java Black.

Last edited:

drjwelch

Reaction score
Long

Alright, well finally I got them black and am VERY happy with them. I went with "Gen Metallic Black" which has the metal filaments in it like the gunmetal except the background color is black and not gray.

Here is a pic with the vehicle on jack stands after sanding. I had to buy 2 3ton and 2 4ton jack stands, but I was happy to add them to the tool shed.
sandedonstands.jpg

Here is a pic of the wheels after sanding, they turned white.
sanded.jpg

Here are the wheels after primering.
priming.jpg

Here is a picture of bunny being annoyed by her dad.
bunny.jpg

drjwelch

Reaction score
picts

Alright, well finally I got them black and am VERY happy with them. I went with "Gen Metallic Black" which has the metal filaments in it like the gunmetal except it is black and not gray.

Here is a pic with the vehicle on jack stands after sanding. I had to buy 2 3ton and 2 4ton jack stands, but I was happy to add them to the tool shed.

sandedonstands.jpg

sanded.jpg

Here are the wheels after primering.

priming.jpg

Here is a picture of bunny being annoyed by her dad.

bunny.jpg

drjwelch

Reaction score
Alright, well finally I got them black and am VERY happy with them. I went with "Gen Metallic Black" which has the metal filaments in it like the gunmetal except it is black and not gray.

sandedonstands.jpg

drjwelch

Reaction score
pic1

sandedonstands.jpg

drjwelch

Reaction score
pic1

sandedonstands.jpg

sanded.jpg

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Went with duplicolor semi gloss black. Been on for 2 weeks and finally have time to get to doing touch-ups.
Looks great so far...tons of compliments and nobody thinks I did it myself until I tell them.

drjwelch

Reaction score
Went with duplicolor semi gloss black. Been on for 2 weeks and finally have time to get to doing touch-ups.
Looks great so far...tons of compliments and nobody thinks I did it myself until I tell them.

Noice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635