Wash After Service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all having a good week. Unfortunately, I got a small nail in my tire on Sunday and had to bring my LR4 to get the tire patched/replaced. I ended up having to get a new tire because the dealership told me they could not patch the tire. It was $450.00 for one tire with the labor.

My question is regarding service work. I would like to know if it's standard for a Land Rover dealership to wash the vehicle after it comes into the shop. I am asking because they used to do this to my ML350 when I would bring it in for service/repair. Either way, I don't mind that they don't wash it, but what really gets me mad is the the vast amount of scuff marks on the door, console, etc. I have to tell you, these technicians are the MESSIEST I have ever experienced. They literally took my old tire off (I wanted to save it so I could get it patched at a normal tire shop and then re-mounted as a full spare) and threw it in the back of my cargo area - scuffing up everything.

I really like the Land Rover dealer where I bought my vehicle (San Jose), but I go to Redwood City because it's very close to my house. I don't want to complain, but come on people!

What do you guys/gals think?

Regards, David

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I don't know what the policy is regarding washing the vehicle after service at my dealership. Sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't. Maybe it has to do with the workload in the shop at the time.

But that's a different issue from the scuff marks left in your car by the technician. I'm not so spoiled that I expect the dealership to wash my car every time I come in. But I do expect them to clean up after themselves. That's just basic.

Regarding your flat tire: IMHO, when the dealership said they couldn't patch your tire, you should have walked away and sought help elsewhere. While I love the idea of a full size spare, I think that you could have paid much less elsewhere.

For simple punctures in the tread (not the sidewall) I repair my own tires. I have a repair kit that I've used many times. The repairs have always lasted for the life of the tire. I can repair the tire without even removing the wheel from the car.

arb005%20006.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the policy is regarding washing the vehicle after service at my dealership. Sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't. Maybe it has to do with the workload in the shop at the time.

But that's a different issue from the scuff marks left in your car by the technician. I'm not so spoiled that I expect the dealership to wash my car every time I come in. But I do expect them to clean up after themselves. That's just basic.

Regarding your flat tire: IMHO, when the dealership said they couldn't patch your tire, you should have walked away and sought help elsewhere. While I love the idea of a full size spare, I think that you could have paid much less elsewhere.

For simple punctures in the tread (not the sidewall) I repair my own tires. I have a repair kit that I've used many times. The repairs have always lasted for the life of the tire. I can repair the tire without even removing the wheel from the car.

arb005%20006.jpg
Thanks, CaptainSpalding!

This is a great idea. I know that nails, etc. in the tread can definitely be plugged up and repaired. Side-wall issues are another story. I know I should have left and gone elsewhere, but I just needed it done as soon as possible. I kept the tire (they were going to keep it) and going to have it patched and then mounted as a full-size spare. I just need to figure out a rim solution.

Any ideas???

-David

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
If you have a little compressor, you can repair the tire on the side of the road in a few minutes. Here's the procedure:

1. Ascertain where the puncture is. If there's a nail or something there, leave it in for the time being.
2. Roll the truck slowly forward or backward until the puncture is at the 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock position as you look at the tire.
3. Raise the truck to off-road height to give yourself more room to work.
4. Put a plug into the insertion tool and have it standing by. Lubricate the reamer.
5. Fill the tire with air using the compressor. It will start to hiss air out, and you will have to wait longer to fill it, but let it fill for as long as you can stand it.
6. Pull out the nail or other offender with pliers or other suitable tool.
7. The air is really hissing out now, but don't panic. Shove the reamer into the hole and give it a few twists. Pull it out, and quickly shove the plug into the hole with the insertion tool.
8. Air up with the compressor.
9. Cut the plug flush with the tread with your pocket knife.

All done! Nothing left to do but bask in the glow of self-sufficiency. :wink:

Keep an eye on the tire pressure for a while to make sure the plug is doing the job (a situation where it wouldn't is when the hole is of an irregular size and shape such that the reamer couldn't make it round.)

I have done this at least 5 times, with no further attention to the repair necessary.

72offsuit

Reaction score
Never would let any dealer wash my vehicle. Have standing request that includes delivery and all service, "Do not wash" these guys are hacks that leave tons of scratch and swirl marks , especially on a black vehicle.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never would let any dealer wash my vehicle. Have standing request that includes delivery and all service, "Do not wash" these guys are hacks that leave tons of scratch and swirl marks , especially on a black vehicle.
Hey 72offsuit,

I agree completely. I am actually HAPPY they did not wash it and will definitely request a NO WASH in the future, but I am just a bit mad about how messy they were and scuffed things up, got greasy fingerprints all over the place, etc. Heck, they replaced my wheel and did not even bother cleaning the rim. AT ALL... In fact, it's full of grease marks now.

I just think they should be a bit more careful.

Thanks for the comments.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a little compressor, you can repair the tire on the side of the road in a few minutes. Here's the procedure:

1. Ascertain where the puncture is. If there's a nail or something there, leave it in for the time being.
2. Roll the truck slowly forward or backward until the puncture is at the 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock position as you look at the tire.
3. Raise the truck to off-road height to give yourself more room to work.
4. Put a plug into the insertion tool and have it standing by. Lubricate the reamer.
5. Fill the tire with air using the compressor. It will start to hiss air out, and you will have to wait longer to fill it, but let it fill for as long as you can stand it.
6. Pull out the nail or other offender with pliers or other suitable tool.
7. The air is really hissing out now, but don't panic. Shove the reamer into the hole and give it a few twists. Pull it out, and quickly shove the plug into the hole with the insertion tool.
8. Air up with the compressor.
9. Cut the plug flush with the tread with your pocket knife.

All done! Nothing left to do but bask in the glow of self-sufficiency. :wink:

Keep an eye on the tire pressure for a while to make sure the plug is doing the job (a situation where it wouldn't is when the hole is of an irregular size and shape such that the reamer couldn't make it round.)

I have done this at least 5 times, with no further attention to the repair necessary.
Thanks, CaptainSpalding!

You are the best! I just bought a mini-air compressor and full tool kit. I am all set now! :)

-David

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM