What 18" tires should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great !

Thanks for the report, that's good to hear !

Spiker had the Discoverer STTs, huh? Those look sweet, too...but too big for the LR3.

Rob, I am in Maui for the next week. I plan on being at the planning meeting so I'll see you then...I'm not sure when I can really get out and get dirty next...I am going to Portland that next weekend (3/15) and plan on hooking up with Brent of Columbia Rovers to discuss the design/install of sliders. ...maybe some time in late March or early April I can head out; I'd love to. ...maybe nothing too serious until after I get sliders on !

Too early for Fortune Creek, huh?

When are you guys going out next?

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked at a description of the Fortune creek run.. It looks like a very scenic place to go. I'm all for it!

Reaction score
Fortune Creek/Van Epp's Trail is one of our annual summer trips. At 5000ft its going to be buried for a while this year. I'd say June at the earliest for this one.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my LR3 has new shoes. After receiving my rims via UPS today I promptly loaded them up and took them down to Americas Tire and had them put on 4 new Zeon LTZ's. I just couldn't beat the price for a tire that everyone is saying good things about.

Had the guys at the tire shop put them on the truck. I think they look really nice. This is what the LR3 should of come with. They ride pretty quiet. They are definately louder then the synchrones but not as loud as the goodyears. I can feel a bit more "sway" in the tires over the synchrones when cornering, etc but it's not too bad. They track really straight and don't seem to be pulled around in the tire troughs on the road that studded tires make. I cant wait to try them out. We might drive up to Gifford Pinchot this weekend and play near the snowline with my T-Maxx.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can feel a bit more "sway" in the tires over the synchrones when cornering, etc but it's not too bad. They track really straight and don't seem to be pulled around in the tire troughs on the road that studded tires make.

Sounds like you are snow driving. Cool, I haven't tried mine in real snow yet. As for the "sway", my tire shop underinflated them I think, around 38 psi. they seemed a bit squishy to me, so now I run them at 42 psi and it's more solid.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No snow driving yet. The "tire troughs" are basically small gullies in the asphalt road that all of the studded tires make. The residents of the Portland metro area seem to think that they have to run studded tires on their cars all winter long even though they may only actually need them for traction once a year. It results in very grooved roads that pull the car around. I really wish they would outlaw studded tires. The winter traction tires that are out now are more then enough. Studs just tear up the road.

I'll have to check that tire pressure. I have a feeling they may be low like what yours were.
What do you run when offroading? ISTR you mentioning 28psi or so, is that correct? I need a good baseline next time I go out.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, 28 psi is a great pressure for off roaring with these in general conditions. Lower of course for sand.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I checked the pressure.. The tire place only inflated them to 33 psi!! The are at 42 now.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like all four at 42 on my LR3. Ride is stiffer and mileage goes up...:biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635