What brake pads do you all recommend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midas - I'll comment no further on using such a place. In any case, the pads are cheap, it's the labor that you pay for on any brake job. Buy better pads, get better performance, and have a good foreign car independent mechanic do the work. I'm not aware of any lifetime that covers labor and parts, and if it exists I would be worried about the type of pad used that would last so long for that gamble relative to the performance trade offs involved in any such part's design.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how you unplug the front brake wear sensor? It looks like it goes up under the- geez what do you call it - the plastic splash guard in the wheel well. Anyway, can't figure out where or if it comes out in the engine compartment. Or do I have to take off the aptly named plastic splash guard wheel well thingy?

p.s. mustbeaudi, I'll buy your sensor from you. That is if I can figure out where to plug it in. If the light stays off, I may not worry about it though. I'll keep ya posted.

Last edited:

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I compiled others' descriptions of the procedure (still only $17 incl. 1st class postage!)

Make sure you put the wear sensor onto the left hand side inner pad. The wear sensor has a small brass contact spring that fits around it. This was stuck into my old brake pad, and could easily get lost so make sure you retrieve it.

How the hell do you get the sensor cable to plug back in to where it belongs? I got the old one off without a problem, and routing the new one was not even too much trouble, since there is no liner at the rear. However, the cable plugs in behind the air suspension, which makes it very difficult to see what's going on. I presume it's simple when they're built, since the body's probably not on when the cable is fitted, but taking it off to change it later seems a bit extreme!

Anyway, I found that you can get the socket (the part "on the car") to a visible position, but I still can't get the plug (on the end of the new cable) to click into position correctly. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Best to undo inner skin clips and follow wire up to the connector...now using your 3rd hand...I think you get the picture....try and release the old connector (all by feel) and attach the new one..
It is a complete pain to connect up in the wheel arch. Best advice is study the new one to work out how the old one comes out!
As I pulled mine off the disc pad I broke the (ceramic?) bit adjacent to the disc, (was replacing it anyway, so a little heavy handed) so if you are planning not to change it - pull very gently, and don't lever the angled bit.

35 Nm (26 lb.ft) for the bolts; tighten the bleed screw to 14 Nm (10 lb.ft)

Tools required;

Good jack and stands, wheel brace, 13mm spanner, 15mm spanner 17mm spanner, Pliers, brake cleaner, brake grease, piston retraction tool.
For the front, you need a 13mm and 17mm spanner wrench for the front and a 15mm spanner for the rear. The problem is that you need the wrenches to be narrow. I haven't been able to locate "spanner" wrenches at any auto supply store, so I just ground down the wrenches on a grinder. I just used a c clamp carefully to retract the pistons.
I jacked under the beefy arm that attaches to the wheel.
1) I found a 13mm socket to be easier than a spanner for the caliper bolts
2) I also used the G-clamp method of getting the piston back in, but rather than messing around cutting pieces of wood, just used the spanner across the piston to stop the clamp going up inside it.

FRONTS
1. Securely jack the car onto axle stands and remove front wheels
2. On the left hand side, use pliers to pull the pad wear sensor off the pad
3. Remove the 13 mm bolts that hold the caliper to the caliper frame (use the 15mm spanner, rear, 17mm spanner front, to hold the sliding joints whilst you undo the caliper bolts)
4. (Discard the caliper bolts IF new ones are in the kit)
5. Lift off the caliper and support, take care not to strain the brake pipe and wires.
6. Remove and discard the old pads. (Front and rear pads are different, Front has 2 piston system, rear has 1)
7. (Remove and discard the pad support springs IF new ones in kit)
8. Use piston compression tool to fully retract pistons into caliper - take care and push the pistons slowly and squarely. use a small piece of wood cut to size to hold one of the two pistons in place, as one comes out as you compress the other
9. Clean the caliper with brake cleaner.
10 IF included, fit the new support springs to the caliper frame
11 Smear a little brake grease onto the back of each pad, and a little onto the sliding surface that fits into the support spring
12 Fit the pads into the support springs (rear pads are directional chamfer goes towards the ground, ie the leading edge of disk travel for forward motion)
13 Replace brake wear sensor, refit original or tie back if you feel you do not need it if its still intact.
14 Replace the caliper onto the frame and use the new bolts to secure.
15 Refit road wheel
16 Pump brake pedal to prime the system.
17 Check level in brake fluid reservoir
18 Carefully road test

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake Job Specs

SPECS
Wheel Nuts - 140 Nm (103 lb.ft).
Anchor Plate Bolts - 115 Nm (85 lb.ft)
Guide Pin Bolts - 32 Nm (24 lb.ft)`
Brake Disc Retaining Screw (Torx) - 35 Nm (26 lb.ft)
Brake Hose Retaining Bracket - 25 Nm (18 lb.ft)
Front Brake Hose Union to Caliper - 32 Nm (24 lb.ft)
Rear Brake Hose Union to Caliper - 28 Nm (21 lb.ft)
Bleed Screw - 14 Nm (10 lb.ft)

Front - Brake disc thickness - NEW 27 mm, Service Limit = 24 mm
Rear - Brake disc thickness, NEW = 20.0 mm (0.78 in), Service limit = 17.0 mm (0.67 in)
Disc Run Out - must not exceed 0.3 mm
Pad minimum thickness 3.0 mm (0.12 in)

REAR
Disc diameter on Tdv6 325mm
Thickness new 20mm
Minimum Thickness 17mm
Run out 0.3mm
Pad Min thickness 3.0mm

FRONT
Disc diameter Tdv6 320mm
Thickness New 30mm
Minimum Thickness 27mm
Run Out 0.3mm
Min Pad Thickness 3.0mm

lfr

Reaction score
ebc greenstuff good, the akebono I did not like

billj214

Reaction score
Brake pads

Just ordered EBC pads and rotors, will post on how they work when I get them installed.

EBC Front Sport Rotors 13.3 In. Dia. (slotted/drilled)
EBC Front Green Stuff Brake Pads

$366 shipped from Auto Accessories Garage.

Anyone else use these rotors and pads together yet?

Thanks!

roverall

Reaction score
Just ordered EBC pads and rotors, will post on how they work when I get them installed.

EBC Front Sport Rotors 13.3 In. Dia. (slotted/drilled)
EBC Front Green Stuff Brake Pads

$366 shipped from Auto Accessories Garage.

Anyone else use these rotors and pads together yet?

Thanks!

I have theese, got them installed last July.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99