What I like (and dislike) about my Freelander-Long

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

GadgetRick

I've got an '02 Freelander SE. I got it for my wife to drive in '02 because we were expecting our first child and I wanted my wife to have something she could drive in just about any weather if/when I was out of town (used to travel for my job a LOT). I also wanted something which could get me through some serious snow because I also an a volunteer ski patroller. Anyway, we've had it almost 3 years (lease is coming up) and I wanted to post the things I like and dislike about it for anyone considering a Freelander.

First of all, overall, it's been a great vehicle. Have only had two problems, which the dealer was able to fix right away and they were relatively minor (a blown speaker and the rear wiper not working properly). The engine seems to run just fine with regular maintenance. As you all know, the LR service is on the expensive side but, as long as you do it, the Freelander seems to hum right along.

The thing has been nothing short of spectacular in the snow. We live in Northern NJ and I patrol in upstate NY and have been through a few severe storms. I've tried (yes, actually tried) to get it stuck during one storm just to see if I could. I could not. I've not had a chance to do any offroading as I'm inexperienced in that and have not been able to make one of the training days my dealer offers (always had something planned for the day they scheduled) so I can't vouch for it's offroad capabilities but I have to believe it should do quite well in the hands of someone experienced in offroading.

I've also always liked the look of it. When they first came out I felt they were somewhat unique. Now, others have copied (somewhat) the styling but I still like it.

It rides surprisingly well. It's not as smooth as my Saab 9-5 but it's not as bad as you might expect from a truck. It's a nice balance of a decent ride without making it too soft.

Being in a cold climate during the winter here, I must say I absolutely LOVE the heated windshield. It is rather expensive to replace, however. We found out our first winter when we caught a rock from the rock salt they put down on the roads. It's a beautiful thing when we get ice since I just start her up, turn on the front windshield heater and come back to easily remove the ice. Much better than scraping!

Now, what I don't like about it:

For me, it's just too small. I'm a big guy--six feet tall and a weight lifter so I'm wide. The seats aren't really made for a larger person. They're not uncomfortable but they don't provide the support I'd like. I also don't like that the seats can't be raised and lowered. I'm tall enough that I can't use the sun visors because they obstruct my view if I do. If I could lower the seat I'd be fine. I'd also like to see a telescoping/tilting steering wheel for similar reasons.

Overall the vehicle is just not big enough for someone with a baby. Once you put a stroller in the back there's no room for anything else. The back seats have ample leg room, however, which is nice.

I also didn't care as much for the interior. The seats were fine but the dash has a slightly cheap feel to it. For what I paid for it I would like to see a little nicer interior. I know it's being a bit picky but that's the way I feel. :)

Now, I understand some of these things have been addressed in the newer versions of the Freelander. However, my biggest complaint is the size. I wanted to get a Disco since the lease deal we were getting wasn't all that much more for the Disco but my wife thought it would be too big. Now she's kicking herself for not getting it. We're probably going to pick up a used Disco once the lease is up (or a little sooner).

Overall I can't really complain about the truck. It's been a great vehicle. I would tell my friends to buy one if they asked. I think it's better than the other trucks in its class for the money. Honestly, if it were bigger, we'd consider either another one or buying this one out from the lease. We just need a bigger vehicle.

Hope this helps.

The Rickster

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. It is always nice to see someone put a lot of thought into an objective review, especially of their own vehicle.

G

GadgetRick

You're welcome

No problem. I just like to read reviews from actual users. I don't trust most reviews in mags with advertising because they're, typically, jaded by who is advertising. I like Consumer Reports but they're a bit jaded because they're just so darn practical. Anything which isn't 100% practical usually gets beaten up. I do like their reliability stats. They don't lie.

I know of a few people who've asked me how I like my Freelander so I figure more people might be looking and this might help. :)

The Rickster

R

Roverdude

Thanks for the refreshing change. So many reviews, however honest, are people whining about whatever broke during their ownership. While I totally agree that LR needs to improve quality control, not nearly enough people chime to speak about positive ownership experiences (and yours certainly sound positive).

I guess I'll add to it for anyone considering a Freelander. I bought my 2003 SE3 in December of 2003, it's done nearly 16,000 miles. In that time, only problems I've had:
HDC/TC light; replaced brake switch under warranty by the dealer. Fairly common, vehicle still drove fine.
Clunk from under shifter console when foot on brake and tranny in park; I suspected it was the shift lock solenoid, dealer tech ordered one, installed, still made the noise, claims several other FL's in the lot made same noise so pronounced it healthy.
Some minor trim pieces fell off; two trim screws in the footwell, latch for center cubby broke, cap over windshield wiper arm nut fell off. No biggies, will address them at the next service.

Other than that, I have been enjoying the rover. It's a nice contrast to my 91 RR in that it handles so well and drives great, but still has that land rover feel. I'm probably due for brakes soon (will DIY), and plan on rotating the tires in the near future.

When the next gen comes out in 1.5-2 yrs, I'll probably trade up to one of those, I like the SE3, but I don't take the hard top off that much, could use a little extra cargo seats, and I really want a little more luxury features (mainly heated seats). If the next freelander (or LR2) is as great a leap forward as the LR3 is to the Disco, I'm sure I'll trade up.

G

GadgetRick

Yes

I have to say I have had a positive experience so far. I've got 38k miles on it (I know, I'm a little over on the lease...) and have only had those two problems. Oh, I forgot about one other problem the dealer fixed. The handle for the glove box under the steering wheel broke. The dealer fixed it.

So I've only had minor problems so I really can't complain. Like I said, my only complaint is the size but, for most normal-sized people it's fine. I don't think it's the best family vehicle if you've got a small child (i.e. infant/toddler) since the back trunk area space is somewhat limited.

I'm also glad to see they've improved the interior a bit. The ones I've seen in the showroom are nicer. Again, this is a minor complaint. It's not that the interior isn't nice, I'd just like it slightly nicer.

The thing really is amazing in the snow we've had. It drives like it's on dry pavement in snow up to about a foot. Sure you've got to worry about braking and turning too fast but it's WAY more stable than anything else I've driven (AWD or otherwise) in the snow.

In a somewhat funny story, when I know it's going to snow, I park my Saab in my driveway first then the FL behind it. This way I don't have to shovel as much and, when they plow me in, I can just drive the FL out without shoveling. Anyway, not long after we got the FL we got over 3 feet of snow. During the snowstorm I had it out and playing around. We eventually got plowed in and, while my neighbor was shoveling himself out, I drove the FL out with little effort. He watched and said, "I've got to get something like that!" I have not shoveled myself out of my driveway since.

Anyway, he didn't take my advice and get a LR, instead, he got a BMW X5. It's a nice vehicle (I hesitate to call it a truck--not a bad thing) and all but he's had nothing but problems with it from Day 1. It's constantly in the shop for various things. It's also not NEARLY as good in the snow as the FL. It gets through everything but it's not as stable driving as the FL. But, then again, it's not really made for that sort of thing, is it? :)

The Rickster

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72