What is the heaviest thing you have towed with your Disco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

fbrems

**, sorry, I forgot to ad the picture.

Attachments

• Disco.Boat.JPG
    Disco.Boat.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 70
F

fbrems

Oeps!!!

**! **, it seems I am screwing up here, anybody knows how to delete if you press twice the button. Sorry fellows.....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice pic of the disco pulling the boat...

W

wldcrd13

help

I am so glad that I have found this website and saw this thread. I have a 98 Discovery that I want to use to pull a camper. I have just gotten back from the camper and Land Rover dealerships and am totally frustrated. The Discovery has a (supposedly) factory installed class III receiver. When I was at the camper dealership the tech looked at it and said that the walls of the receiver looked to thin to be a class III and wanted to use a weight distributing hitch. The owners manual from Land Rover said not to use this type of hitch. The Land Rover manual said that the maximum tongue weight could not exceed 330 pounds, the tongue weight of the trailer I want is 420 pounds. I went to the Rover dealer who looked at the receiver and verified that it was a factory installed class III receiver, but could not answer the question of why I could not use a weight distributing hitch. The trailer I would like to get has a weight of 3480 with a total length of 26ft with trailer brakes. Can the Disco do this? I am new to the camper towing deal, I have towed jet skis and boats before but this is totally new to me. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
420 pounds seems heavy for a 3480 pound trailer. typically tounge weight should be 10% of trailer weight - or almost perfect for your disco.

The weight of the trailer should not be a problem at all, but that tounge weight is VERY heavy.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless someone weighed the tongue of the trailer, I would say the 420 lbs is based off of the gross vehicle weight of the trailer, which means it is not that heavy empty.

At and empty weight of 3480lbs with say a 1000lbs of gear and water... keep in mind you shouldn't travel with much water unless you have to and this doesn't include grey or black water. You will be at 4480lbs roughly. You can safely pull that with a rover, and I wouldn't even think about it without a weight distribution hitch and sway bars. The first time you try it without, and then with you will never go without again. But here comes the part that no one wants to here, The Rover is only a 100 inch wheel base. Basically that means that you shouldn't pull anything longer than 20 foot long, now of course you can get around this with a good sway system. And yes I have towed longer items without sway, but it wasn't fun. If your serious about towing something long and you want to do it safely I would recommend buying a real good sway system.

http://www.hensleymfg.com/ either that or buy some real good term life insurance and PM me for my full legal name ans SSN and I will gladly be the beneficiary.

W

wldcrd13

thanks so much for everyones help. We have switched and are now looking at a Rockwood Roo 23B with a hitch weight of 261 pounds and a length closed of 20'4" with a GVWR 5082. Is this a better combo? We really don't want a pop up and would like a hard side camper but this seems like a good compromise. Does anyone else have any suggestions? We are going to get a sway system installed by the dealer. Does this sound like it would work? Thanks so much for everyones help. If this is any indication I can't want to start camping, it seems like everyone is willing to help everyone else out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer