What is this hollow tube? (Image Attached)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check both sides of the battery for a vent. I had a battery vent tube become clogged and it ruined the 4x4 control unit. It took three months and two grand to fix it. The battery can boil and spill acid directly onto the control unit.

Where is the 4x4 control unit? Is it the same as Terrain Response Unit or something else?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue is the battery box design, placement of negative terminal over wiring, and the batteries propensity to bleed out of the battery negative terminal. The combination appears to be fatal.

I HOPE this can be mitigated by some remedial maintenance from time to time. Extensive pictures of battery box and negative cable, etc. in my gallery. Of course, the world only includes this web site, so we can't get there from here. PM me with your e-mail address for a link to pics.

Last edited:

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have corrosion buildup on the negative terminal of my battery. I read recently that not using the vent tube can lead to corrosion issues due to the buildup of gases in the battery compartment. I can't use the tube as it is because it's not long enough to reach the hole on my Interstate battery. Do you guys actually plug the tube in?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is probably a vent hole on both ends of the battery, you could also reroute / splice the tube for added length. I do not believe this is the issue, or will help with the negative corrosion. PM me with e-mail address for a link to some pictures, that may help.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I just noticed the corrosion too. Silly question but what is the best way to eliminate this from happening or will this need to be addressed from time to time in the future? How do I clean this up? Thanks.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed the corrosion too. Silly question but what is the best way to eliminate this from happening or will this need to be addressed from time to time in the future? How do I clean this up? Thanks.

At the moment I am not sure what causes it. @tlt recommends using baking soda and wipe the base. Replace the corroded cable. Clean the battery point (sand paper?). Maybe he can chime in? Is there a wiki for this comon problem? If not then there should be one.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been battling corrosion on my LR3 battery for over a year now. I read in a few places that a small crack in the battery terminal can cause corrosion due to gas being released. I'm not sure if that would be the cause in our situation given so many people reporting it happening specifically on the negative terminal. Maybe we got a bad batch of batteries with the MTP-H8? There was an LR3 owner on either this forum or the lrrforums who had a background in automotive batteries. Perhaps we can get him to chime in on what might be causing the corrosion.

The factory manual recommends using petroleum jelly (ie. Vaseline) on the terminals when doing a battery change. I started doing this a few months ago after giving everything a good cleaning with Diet Coke. I would always have a pile of bluish white gunk sitting on the negative terminal a few months after cleaning. This time around there is definitely less of the "salt" on the terminal.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, chiming-- It does seem to be a common issue. I've e-mail pictures to a couple of folks that have requested it. I suggest a damp rag, and put baking soda on it to wipe off the corrosion. This will minimize washing baking soda and water down into the battery box and wiring below.

I cleaned mine up, replaced the negative battery cable, just because. Then I cleaned the terminal on the battery and sprayed 3M 1601 sealant on the battery terminal. I am waiting to see how it goes. I expect the gassing will continue.

I think, that if the leaking is too bad, it might be worth going to the battery supplier and egging them for a replacement, or at least see what they say about it, seeing as this is increasingly common on the LR3. I wonder, if it is the higher voltages, or something else.

If you want pictures, PM me with your e-mail address, and I will send you a link. BBYER has tried sealing with something else, and we will see the results of our experiment, but I do not expect much. It is surely worth carefully monitoring and neutralizing as corrosion appears. It does not seem to be enough to have the battery terminal corrosion protection buttons, as bbyer had those, and it did not seem to help.

dominicbeirne

Reaction score
Wet-cell batteries sometimes use them. If anyone uses an Optima Yellowtop battery, is it worth all the money? My current battery is fine, but plan on changing soon.

Have installed yellow top as second battery with traxide.com.au dual battery controller system. Damn fine piece of kit and is the weapon of choice from my research. Very happy with the yellow top.

Cheers

Dom

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd