What to believe - owner's manual or LR's site

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is another "odd" Discovery towing question for anyone to respond to...

My 2004 Discovery owner's manual states that the max trailer weight, in high-range, is 4,410 lbs. Land Rover's US site states this same figure as 5,500 lbs (http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Products/Discovery_2/Specifications.htm#).

While I would like to believe the higher number, why would there be such a discrepency? I don't think that anything is different in the engine or gearing (the same model and year of Discovery). The question is, "which is accurate?" I would assume that the owner's manual had more "eyes" watching it for mistakes than LR's site.

Maybe I will have to contact LR corporate for an answer to this question, but maybe someone here would know what is going on?

D

discomike

I would go to corporate and see what they have to say, then let us know.
Mike J.

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a conversion booklet. One lists pound-lb-av.453.6 grams per pound the other states pound-lb-troy 373.2 grams per pound. I think the diff is whether they're using some English version. I'm not sure what the "av" and "troy" stand for but that might be where the descrepancy lies. I think the lower weight would be the standard used in America. Let me know if this is correct, I'm interested to know.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assume lower, I say. I always assume the worst with my Rover and that seems to ensure that I'm usually happy. :biggrin:

C

Cozmo

The other option is to ask the dealership you will be using for warranty service. After all it is up to them what will or won't be covered should something break.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get what they say in writing, too.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Official Land Rover Corporate Response

So here is the "OFFICIAL" response from Land Rover:

Re: Customer Relationship Cases (KMM4046935V45848L0KM)

Dear Troy,

Thank you for contacting the Land Rover Customer Relationship Center.
Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.

I have looked into this issue for you and it appears that there is data missing in the manual for the maximum tow weight in high range. For the 2003 model-year (and I was not able to locate any changes to this for 2004) the maximum tow weight in high-range was the 5,500 figure. The 4,410 figure only applies if the vehicle is loaded to gross vehicle weight (GVW). It would appear that they are both correct, but the manual did not specify the weights involved.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us with this discrepancy and apologize for any inconvenience as a result. I hope this is the information you were looking for and thank you again for your patience while I responded to your inquiry. Have a great weekend.

Sincerely,
Land Rover Customer Relationship Center
I am satisfied with this answer from LR.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moose said:
Get what they say in writing, too.
Personally, I would consider their response as "in writing", since it was via email. Would you agree or disagree?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree to disagree.....

Okay....it sounds logical, since my '97 has a towing capacity of 5500 pounds that the 2004 would be able to at least tow the say, since it has the larger engine.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing, since my 2000 also had a higher towing capacity - at least it has been cleared up for me now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99